Pityriasis Rosea--desperate for help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a middle-aged, professional woman. About a month ago, I was diagnosed with PR--it has gotten much worse with each week, and now covers my chest, neck and face. I cannot take more time off from work, but I look atrocious. Even my very loving husband is appalled and can hardly stand to see it. I've been using the prescribed corticosteroids, but with no improvement, and possibly even worsening condition. I've been back to the doctor (several doctors) repeatedly in hopes of some other suggestions or treatments, but alas, nothing other than cortisone cream. I read some posts from past. Anyone have suggestions for alternative remedies to speed healing of the lesions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i skimmed and read a lot on this page and chose what i was comfortable with. i am not typical demographic i am 61. it was so itchy but after 2 weeks it's gotten so much better.

my dr said to stop steroid cream which another dr prescribed. i would take aveeno oatmeal baths at night. i did try head and shoulders as a bath gel as others mentioned. i also have a teatree shampoo which i would alternate. i used cold packs when itching got really bad. i took oral Benadryl at night to help sleep. i ramped up vitamins tumeric,c and elderberry. calamine lotion was best topical. my rash has lightened,did not spread and barely itchy after just two weeks. not sure what helped but try whatever gets you through. i feel for anyone dealing with this,its awful.

• Posted

also i forgot to mention, i did buy solarcaine which my dr said might numb the itch.

and at night desitin maximum 40% zinc oxide to coat it heavily

• Posted

another supplement i forgot. i took an oral zinc with c lozenge daily.

like i said not sure what helped but figured i would treat both inside and out. good 🤞 luck

• Posted

after seeing a dermatologist and crying daily about this rash i read lots of forums ans tried all the home remidies. Use head and shoulders to wash in, i dont leave it on but just wash with it, E45 to moisturise and ive been going on sunbeds every other day. my patches are no long red and raised and are flaky and (i hope) disapearing. im on week 3!! So happy to find something thats helped

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.