Pityriasis Rosea for Over a Year

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 34 year old male from across the pond who has been stuck with this condition fo.  It is primarily on the right side if my mid-back, but some red dots are on the other side of my back.  I also had one small circle on my sternum.  The one on my sternum seems to be faded, however, my back doesn't seem to get better.  I have tried steroid cream, but I wasn't very good at being persistent with that since applying a cream to my back is difficult to say the least.  Has anyone else had it this long?  Did it go away?  How did it go away?  What really works?  Please someone help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My first sentence got messed up.  I was trying to say I've been stuck with this condition for well over a year now!
  • Posted

I had it really badly, all over myself, and it started creeping on to my face as well. I went to the dermatologist and he gave me steroid cream, and then I googled the hell out of it.

Then, I went to the solarium for 6 minutes three times a week and washed myself in Anti-Dandruff Head and Shoulders shampoo. I used a combination of antifungal and steroid cream on it after the shampoo wash, and it started disappearing within a week and was fully gone by 2 weeks. Honestly, I would thorougly recommend doing this - the solarium is the key. It looked worse after the first two goes but i persisted and by the third they started going scaly and then just disappeared. I was told that I would have it for about 4-5 months as it is viral fungal sort of thing, but have a go. It worked a treat!

• Posted

For the solarium, did you apply sunscreen? I have fair skin and burn easily. I will try this but want to make sure the sunscreen won't negate the effect.
    • Posted

No, I didnt, but if you are fair you may want to do less - I am quite olive, but have a go with sunscreen first I reckon - but it worked an absolute treat. But you dont want to burn yourself. Even if you went in for 2 minutes - I covered my face and just exposed my neck a bit where I had some coming.

The Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo is good as well, and then slather on a moisturiser with the cortisone and anti fungal cream.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  It was helpful.  I'll try the methods you described.
    • Posted

Hello! I had this for about a month and on a daily basis I would shower and use head and shoulders all over my body. After the shower I would apply coconut oil to my whole body...I also used E45 cream here and there. I used used the essential oil Myrah to rub into my body before bed (diluted in a carrier oil). I used the sunbed about 3/4 times a week. I got rid of PR in a month following this routine religiously! Good luck xxxx
    • Posted

Also don't use steroid creams...They can't cure it! They might reduce the redness slightly but I never used it once I realised it couldn't do anything. Also it's bad for you so not worth using!!
    • Posted

Thanks.  It sounds like head and shoulders and sunbathing seem to be the common denominator for both of your responses.
  • Posted

Update:  I used Head and Shoulders ever time I showered and applied it to my back.  I let it sit there for a few minutes before washing it off.  The pityriasis rosea went away within weeks.  I could feel a tightness/tingles on the legions after I started to use the Head and Shoulders so it felt like it was doing something to it.  I had this for over a year, saw two doctors and all I had to do was use Head and Shoulders.  These doctors don't know what they're doing.  Anyway, there is hope.  For those out there looking for answers try this method.  I never ended up needing to use a tanning bed (solarium) or sunbathing outside.  Nothing but Head and Shoulders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.