Pityriasis Rosea: how does it evolve?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 22 and I've been diagnosed with PR 2 days ago. For me it started when I found out the herald patch on my right leg (not usual) 2 weeks ago. At first I wasn't too worried as I thought it was a mosquito bite or a small allergy. But a few days after that I started noticing smaller lesions in my legs, belly and back. That's when I decided to go to the doctor and got my diagnosis. So, it's been 2 weeks now and, even though I don't have too many patches, I find new ones everyday. For now, I can still use summer clothes because my skin doesn't look scary yet but I'mafraid it will get so much worst. My doctor told me some people only get a few lesions while others get hundreds of them. Can someone tell me how was your evolution of PR? For how long did it spread? Did you get your whole body covered by it? How can I prevent it from happening? I'm so scared!! I wake up very optimistic about it everyday, but by the time I go to bed I'm desperate again! Sometimes I worry it won't go away!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I've never had it, but can speak from my daughters experience. When my daughter had it, it came on very similar to yours. A herald patch on her left leg. Few days later, a rash on her belly, over the next few days onto her legs, back, chest. To be quite frank, it might get worse for you, hopefully it won't. Hers happened to keep spreading for about a month and a half and then was completely all gone and healed up by the 2 and a half month mark. Some people it only lasts a month. I've heard that if you tend to it carefully, it can go away faster. Some people say that sun bathing helps it. After searching for relief for her from the itching, I found on a forum, that many people found relief from washing their entire body with Head and Shoulders shampoo and then puting A&D ointment (not the diaper rash cream, the first aid ointment) on the patches. These are the ONLY things that would stop her itching, plus cold compresses. Don't waste your money on most of the ointments and creams, try this combo first. We tried, what seemed like, them all including steriod creams from the doctor, with absolutely no relief. Her PR ended back in February and as soon as it was gone, there was absolutely no evidence that she had anything on her skin, there is still no trace. Take care! Best of luck to you! It will go away. 

• Posted

Thank you for the advice! It's good to find someone in whom PR developed in a similar way to mine. My herald patch look much better today but all the rest is still the same! At least I haven't found new rashes anywhere else in my body for now.

I'm glad your daughter is fine now! Hope my PR will go away too, as soon as possible!

• Posted

It started as a patch. Then when you scratch it they muliply. The first week was the most horrible week of it😭😭. Its so itchy. The second week they are so visible and i am so depress cause its not something you want other people to see. Since i already got it before i knew having sun exposure when they are already visible helps i immediately get at least 6 minutes sun exposure.. After that they gradually dried out and the rashes goes smaller and smaller.. This type of rash don give scars so dont worry.. And dont ever scratch is so much cause that for sure will make a scar.. It is self limiting so you will be well soon.. Drink water help your immune system

• Posted

Thank you! I think sun exposure helps too! I did it yesterday and today my herald patch is much better. For now, mine is not that itchy so I'm not scratching them and I'll try not to do it ever 😊

• Posted

HI Vera.

I am 25 and was diagnosed a week ago (after being incorrectly diagnosed 2 weeks ago).

Mine started as a single tiny bump on my stomach that I thought was a small insect bite. So i scratched it once then it grew like 10x the size over the next week and became scaly. About 10 days after scratching it I got a few spots (20 total) on my chest, arms, stomach, and legs. It was at this point I decided to go to the GP who told me it was a viral rash and that I must leave it alone. I started taking vitamins as I have a weak immune system so thought id help myself that way. Anyway a week passed and I had about 160 all over my body. I was frreaking out and washing my linen and towels everyday and smearing myself in sudocrem at night becuase I thought it would stop the spreading but it didnt..

I dont think there is anything you can do to stop the spread (fortunately it doesnt usually go to the face or hands or feet!) but I read that some doctors reccomend taking chickenpox medication  (aciclovir I thikn) the first week you notice you have it.. Because that may stop the spread of it. It is not contagious to others or to yourself, I just think once its in your blood that its in your blood and thats that..

Anyway I have been on the sunbed now 3 times in the last week, and it seems to be the only thing that makes a fast noticable difference. The spots went redder after the sunbed, and then even redder and more inflamed after showering (washing my spotty areas with dandruff shampoo), but when I wake up the next day the spots look way better than they did before the sunbed. Mine arent red anymore.. They are dryer and a bit less raised and have all gone a white/light pink colour.. Almost looking like scar tissue? I mean its still dry and looks kindof gross but atleast they arent red anymore..

I dont know at this point if I must moisturise the dry spots or if that will reverse the sunbed effects.. but for now I will let them carry on drying out and will try cream over the weekend.

But id def reccomend sunbed or tanning! goodluck 

• Posted

Thank you! I'm kind of scared of the sunbed but I heard it helps a lot! For now I think I'm gonna stay with the natural tanning but if it gets much worse I'm definitely gonna try it!

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a wrong diagnosis of an allergic reaction to the antibiotics I'd been taking. I have spots all over my body, tops of my legs but the worst place is in my hair and on my forehead!! I did notice an oval patch on my tummy about 4 weeks ago but it wasn't until I was diagnosed that I realised that must have been the herald. I know everyone says don't scratch but how the hell can you not!! I'm taking prescription antihistamines but I'm not sure they make any difference! The worst time is when I get hot I find they itch even more. I'm planning a sunbed session tomorrow to see if this helps. I'm going to Spain in 2 weeks which I know willl be great for the spots but it's the embarrassment of being covered in a ref rash!

• Posted

Hi! Thank god mine doesn't itch that much (although I think today it is itching a little more)! Hope the sunbed works for you as it did to a lot of people here smile let me know about it! Where I live the weather is still great so I'm trying to take advantage of it instead of using a subbed. And I think the trip to Spain will really help... more sun (even though I don't know where you live), less stress... Good luck to you! Hope you have a fast recovery (and me too)!

• Posted

I live in southern England. Tonight the rash has spread down my arm to my wrist. The thing I find unbelievable is that they have no idea where this comes from or how to cure it!! Were you poorly before? I'd had an ear infection for 3 weeks and 3 different antibiotics then this started 😞 X

• Posted

I was told it comes after you are ill.. And that sometimes a virus only shows a rash a a while after being sick..

For me, I had a really boozy weekend with little sleep (lowering my immune system). The following week I had a sore throat, temperature, and night sweats etc.. And then I noticed the first spot a few days later

• Posted

Well, I imagine the weather is not that great over there! Spain will be good for you! At least in Portugal we still have great sunny days.

I know right?! If this is so common, how can they not know anything about it? It's so frustrating!

I wasn't really sick before. I mean I was feeling tired and had a few headaches during the previous week but I thought it was PMS. I also had a sore throat for 2 days or so, maybe it could be related to PR.

• Posted

Bless your heart.  I will be praying for you and just know that it will come to an end.  Mostly this lasts 5-6 weeks - mine lasted 5 months - but it is GONE!

I had a hearld patch 2 weeks before I got my patch.  It looked like a ring worm and I didn't worry about it.  I was under extreme stress when this occurred.  The less stress the better, but I know it hard with hectic life styles.  Eat well,  Drink lots of water, but mostly get sunlight or go to a tanning bed.  I finally did this after about 6 weeks of only getting worse.  I wish that I had done it in the first place.  It will dry them out and they will get a little more itchy and then they will gradually go away.  It started on my abdomen - it was extremely bad under my breasts and arms.  It felt like I had stickers in my clothes - not so itchy but irriating.  I bathed in cool water with head and shoulders as a body wash.  I used coconut oil and took all the right vitamins that are good for the skin.  I also wore really loose clothing.  I had to get petals and use them to sub for a bra - this really helped too as mine were really bad under my breasts and arm pits.  I eventually got some on my neck - which were the only ones that showed but it was at the end and they didn't get bad and went away quickly.  I had some between my legs, torso and neck - a few on my lower back.  

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story! It's great to get advice from people who went through the same thing and are now fine. I hope I don't have to wait 5 months for it to go away!

Mine are not very itchy either, which is good but I'm a bit worried it will continue to spread for a long time! Well, let's hope it gets better in a few weeks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.