Pityriasis Rosea on Black Skin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I never got the "herald patch". It started as small little red bumps on my lower legs. I paid no attention because they didn't itch or hurt. Weeks later, my whole abdominal area, upper left thigh and lower back was inundated with an itchy red rash that spread to my breast, back, neck and near my scalp. I went to Urgent Care and was told it was allergies, prescribed hydrocortisone and a recommendation to follow up with a dermatologist. Waste of time and money!! Went to the dermatologist 3 days later and he said it looked like PR but was not sure and did a biopsy. Meanwhile, I was given a cortisone shot, Triamcinolone and  RX of antihistamine but the rash kept spreading. Came on this board and read about the Head and Shoulders & tanning. I used the Head and Shoulders for about 2 weeks and laid out in the sun maybe 3X. Additionally, I took extra vit C with my multi vitamins.  The rash started getting darker as I am African American and the itching subsided a bit. I also used Organic Coconut Oil after because the shampoo left my skin really dry and the oil helped to moisturize. Fast forward a week later, the second biopsy confirmed PR and my doctor recommended that I stopped the shampoo and was given a goody bag full of Dove & Aveeno cleansers to use, a second cortisone shot and a Rx for hydroxyzine. Took the meds for a few days and my skin started resembling itself again and the itching totally stopped. I've been using coco butter along with the coconut oil to get rid of the post hyper pigmentation. My skin is starting to look really good. The whole process was about 4 weeks!! Be patient, rest, drink plenty of water and you will get your beautiful skin back.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Excellent news and great info! So glad yours was short. Mine lasted over a year.

Isn't it wonderful to have skin? I will NEVER take it for granted again!

• Posted

Yes!!! I second that. I remember thinking that when I was going through it. We have to remember to always love the skin we're in. I can't even imagine going through this for OVER a year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.