Pityriasis rosea reoccurrence, and permanent scarring

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with PR about 6-7 years ago by my GP. I had classic symptoms of a herald patch shortly followed by the full-blown rash. I was reassured that it would all go away eventually, and the main rash did, but I've been left with permanant scarring where the herald patch used to be and it now looks like a patch of darkened discoloured skin. I'm a 26 year old female and this means that I can't wear bikinis or anything showing my stomach as I'm embarrassed by the scars (it looks like I haven't washed my skin or like a fading bruise). Many people including GPs have assumed that I've been hit by my partner when I've had my stomach examined for other issues, and the GPs especially have been shocked when I've told them it's a PR scar as apparently it's not meant to scar, and certainly not scar if you've got pale skin! I've been back to my GP countless times to try and get treatment for the scar as it does affect my self-esteem, but I've been told there's nothing they can do. The reason I'm writing this post now though is that I'm devastated to discover another herald patch yesterday, when the chances of reoccurrence are supposed to be 1 in 50! My point is don't believe the outdated information on this condition that's on the internet, as in my experience it has scarred and I've experienced a reoccurrence. If anybody has had a similar experience to me I would be grateful for any advice, or any treatment recommendations.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had PR 8 times now so that must make me very unlucky lol. I do feel your pain about your scar, a few of mine have left the skin discoloured. I also have 5 scars on my stomach and chest, 4 on my back, and a belly full of stretch marks. There was a time when I would have shied away from a bikini. Also because I am fat. But you have to learn to love your body. You can't let one little patch of discoloured skin ruin your life. You have to learn to love each scar. I have scars from violence, scars from self harm, scars from illnesses, scars from surgery and scars from carrying my beautiful princess. Each and every single scar is part of the story of my life, through the good times and the bad. I know you think it looks ugly, but it isn't. It doesn't have to be if you don't want it to anyway. Most people will be too polite to ask that do, and those that do ask... it only take 2 seconds to say "it's a scar from an old illness". xx

As for this episode scarring, not all of mine have, I would say about 3 of the 8 left discoloured patches, and one of those discoloured patches has disappeared after 4 years so the others might too. So you might get away with it, and even if you don't it may fade in the future. But I think you should try to love it, it is just another page in your story. xxx

• Posted

Most people will be too polite to ask "what's that?" I meant!!! I am too tired!
  • Posted

I cannot tell if I have ringworm or PR. The doctors said it could be Ringworm but I feel like it'd be PR. The makes me very self conscious. Especially since right now I have the rash. This is my first time getting it. I'm 18. Do you have any advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.