Pityriasis Rosea - some hopefully helpful tips

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea just over 2 weeks ago and, contrary to what I was told to expect by my Doctor, have seen a massive improvement in my symptoms in those 2 weeks so wanted to share my tips in case it hells anyone else!

By way of a brief background, I noticed (what I now know to be) a herald patch on my arm at the beginning of December. Initially I thought nothing of it but when it seemed to be growing in size, I went to the pharmacist and from seeing a picture of it, they thought it may have been ringworm and i was given some anti fungal cream.

I started using the cream but only a few days later, noticed I was coming out in red blotches on my stomach. I therefore went to see my Dr on 13th December and was told it was pityriasis rosea. I was told there was nothing that could be done to treat it, it would usually last about three months and hopefully it wouldn't spread to my face.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I came away from the Drs feeling miserable and felt even worse when I googled images of how bad it could get. For about 3-4 days, I was miserable. The rash was getting worse - what had started as a few blotches on my stomach had already grown considerably - it had spread further over my stomach, my chest, my sides, my back and my arms.

I decided to do some research, including coming on this forum. I've tried loads of different things so I honestly can't pinpoint which has worked BUT, the rash has not only stopped spreading, the redness has almost completely gone and I currently have a few faint marks which are getting fainter by the day!

So, itching wise I have been fairly lucky. It has itched at night but I've found using a cold compress (just wetting a small towel with cold water) has helped massively.

For the rash, I've been drinking loads of water and taking supplements - vitamin D; vitamin C; Zinc; L-Lysine.

I have also been using head and shoulders - I use it as a shower gel in the morning and then for the first week, in the evening, I would cover the rash with it, leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off. I have then been applying nappy rash cream to the affected area. For the last few days, I've been using Bio Oil twice a day to further reduce the marks and they are now almost gone!

Like I say, I've no idea which of these treatments has helped but something has made a huge difference in two weeks. I know everyone is different so it may not work for everyone but, if you haven't tried it, give it a try. I know how disheartened I was after my Doctors appointment so hoping this may help someone as I honestly don't think people who have never had PR will understand just how big of an impact it can have on someone!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.