Pityriasis Versicolor

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I have Pityriasis Versicolor and have had it for years. I'm 24 and would say i have probably had it for about 10 years now. It started as a small patch on my back and now the effected area on my back has expanded. I also now have a few patches near and below by bra line, on my stomach area. I am not greatly affected by it in any way, in all honesty I just see it more as an annoyance. I would still quite happily wear a bikini or a dress that shows the areas where the PV is, like I said its just annoying that its there! The first I went to my GP, she was anything but helpful. I remember her exact words were that an option for me would be to be have a skin graft...like seriously. The second time, I was given the name of two anti-danduffs shampoos to purchase, one being Nizoral. I have tried this shampoo and I have not really seen a difference, in all honesty.

Any other cream/spray treatments anyone could reccommend would be appreciated - I have read before that because the condition is yeast related cutting on yeast, e.g. bread can help...has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Katie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie.

I do feel for you, I was misdiagnosed with PV and also used Nizoral shampoo which made no difference and got worse.

. I went back to my GP thinking I had Pityrasis Roseca he reluctantly prescribed selsun shampoo. it worked wonders. Can buy it over the counter. From previous forums people also suggest head and shoulders shampoo, leave it on for 10 minutes in the shower. it does sting but definitely works.

My condition wasn't the same but if yeast related definitely try Selsun or H&S.You got nothing o loose.

Good luck and all the best

Storm

• Posted

Hi Storm,

thanks for the response! Can I ask how long did you use the shampoo for before you started seeing results?

Thanks

Katie

• Posted

HI katie

After five days, within two weeks it had completely gone and never had it since.

All the best

storm

• Posted

Hi,

I had patches of Pityriasis Versicolor last year. Mine were the pink/brown variety, though I appreciate it appears in a white form also. You don't specify which type you have?

Anyway, my GP was also pretty useless. They diagnosed it correctly but lotions like Nizoral and Selsun just didn't work. I did some research and established that UV light can effectively kill and reduce the yeast. I also found a much better shampoo called Alpecin dandruff killer, which contains four active ingredients. Using the shampoo twice a day and taking about six sessions on a sunbed successfully beat the nasty microbes!! I am not suggesting you use a sunbed or sunbathe and you do so at your own risk. I am just stating what worked for me and hope this is of some use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.