Pityriasis Versicolor that won't go away

Posted , 26 users are following.

I first started getting pityriasis versicolor a few years back on holiday. I discovered a load of white scaly dots on my stomach in a line straight down the middle (it resembled a sort of plane landing strip as the dots had joined!). I ignored it thinking it would go, which it did, until I went on holiday again. After three years of it returning each time I went abroad, I went to the doctors. I was prescribed the shampoo they recommend to cure it, and it didn’t work. It came back even worse. I went back to the doctors and he then said it’s the worst case he’s seen in all his years of being a doctor, I was mortified! It covered my stomach, back and even part of my legs. I was then prescribed anti-fungal tablets which appear to have made zero difference. The only other advice I was given was ‘don’t go to hot countries’. There is a whole world out there that I am determined to see, so no way in hell am I taking that advice. I’m doing some traveling for a month at the end of the year to 3 incredibly hot countries, so I NEED to get this sorted. Please help :-(

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Katie, I've had this for over 12 years and tried almost everything too. Hot countries don't make any difference it's just a yeast imbalance.  I've been using Extra Virgin Organic Raw Coconut Oil for less than a week and my patches are gone!  I got it in Sainsburys and its only £6 - hope it's works for you too and you can go travel the world with your bikini on and head up!!  X 
    • Posted

How funny that you replied today as I've actually booked myself a drs appointment for tonight to give it one last go! That's interesting about the coconut oil, how do you apply it (i.e. wet/dry skin? how long for?). And how quickly did you see results? I'm starting to think mine will never go :-( X
  • Posted

Hey, I'm glad you read my reply!  I rubbed it in like a cream on dry skin before bed and didn't wash it off,  I noticed a difference in three days.  I've been telling everyone because it really made such a difference to me, you should definitely give it a go, it's completely natural so you have nothing to loose.  It's actually for using in foods and sauces so look for where you would buy bottles of olive oil Etc in the supermarket.  The one I have is Lucy Bee, it has a green lid.  Best of luck, fingers crossed it works for you too X 
    • Posted

Ah ok thanks! I have one for cooking but it's not extra virgin organic raw or anything so not sure if it would have the same effect. What was your PV like in the first place? Do you have the white dots like I do?
  • Posted

Mine starts as red blotches then they turn white and sort of merge together so it's been really bad looking sometimes.  I usually get Itraconazole for it but this is the first time it has cleared without going to the docs.  I don't know if it makes a difference what kind you use but I read about this one so I just bought it. X 
    • Posted

Ah mind just start white and merge! I had 7 days worth of Itraconazole but it did nothing. Following my drs app last night I've got 4 weeks worth of Itraconazole now and I've just gone and bought extra virgin organic raw coconut oil! Will try that first and if it doesn't work I'll try the tablets again. Thing is how do you know if it's gone? You're only able to tell when you get a tan surely? X
  • Posted

I usually get a four week course too but your skin should look normal with no patches, maybe I see mine more because it usually starts red!  I so hope it works for you and you don't need the tablets!  Fingers crossed for you, let me know how you get on. X 
    • Posted

Hi Jillian

I've been using coconut oil for a couple of weeks now and I must say it looks milldy like it's improving. Not completely, but it has helped a bit. I just started my 4 week tablet course now and actually have my dermatologist appt coming up. Fingers crossed it'll be cured!

• Posted

Hi, I was actually just thinking about you!!   That's great it's improving although I really hoped it would clear the same as mine!  the tablets are good so here's hoping they work for you.  Thanks for getting back to me, best of luck! X 
  • Posted

Hi

I am just about at the end of my tether with this horrible skin condition!!!! Mine first appeared last June in Cyprus and was small spots on my back. I went on to have 3 more holidays July August and then September and when I returned from my last one my back was almost covered in white spots. Now my tan has faded the spots aren't AS noticeable but you can definitely see them clearly.

As it was winter I left it as I thought oh it will disappear on its own and then 11 weeks ago I went to the doctors. He gave me some Nizoral shampoo. I used that 3 times a week for 2 week and it didn't make a difference. Then he gave me 14 days of itraconazole which have made a SLIGHT improvement. Now I've been back and I've been given sunsel (just about to bath and use it for the first time). But as I've researched this hasn't worked for anybody?

I am going to try the coconut oil but I'm going on holiday in 12 weeks and just need this to go as I am so self conscious of it and it gets me down every time I think of my holiday. I love the sun and would hate not to be able to sun bathe or be out in it.

As its not a common thing I have nobody to talk to and I feel like my doc doesn't have a clue either.

:-(.

• Posted

I can totally sympathise as I have just about had it as well. I put fake tan on the other day thinking it'd cover even the white spote. Nope. It made it look as though I'd been in Africa for 2 months, making the spots stand out even more. I hate this. I have my dermatologist appointment on the 11th May so I'll see what they say then, though I'm not expecting anything positive :-(
  • Posted

Please let us know what the outcome of your appointment is. its so frustrating as there's not just 1 thing that can get rid of it.

Has you doctor told you this is curable as mine told me it won't ever vanish for good.

Im only 22 and just think what about when I get married and that's showing all over my back in my dress. On holiday in a bikini? It's just so disheartening :-(

• Posted

Hi again

I've been to the doctor this morning for another illness and just mentioned the parches on my back and that id joined this forum. He was very abrupt and told me that it probably isn't Vityriasis versicolor and it probably vitiligo?? Has anybody else been told this? I am absolutely distraught as there isn't a certain cure for this and if you google images it looks horrific!!! He didn't refer me to a dermatologist or give me anything else just told me to read up on vitiligo.

Devastated is not the word. I don't want this forever.

• Posted

My boyfriend has a bad case of vitaligo, this isn't it. His skin is literally white in places and has been there since birth. Plus it never changes and just always stays how it is, whereas ours comes and goes in terms of how obvious it is. I highly doubt you have vitaligo, some Drs will say that to avoid helping the sitation. Request an appt with the dermatologist like I have X
  • Posted

Can I just say I feel everyone's pain and so happy to find a forum to chat with people who actually understand the impact this has on your life , I've been getting this for the last four years every holiday I come home and my summer is ruined as I can't even wear a tshirt cause I feel horrible , my skin tans really dark so it's very noticeable . I just wanted to ask you all does it seem to come back in the same places every year for you? This is my fourth time and I'm noticing it spreads and looks exactly the same as it did previously , I never get it anywhere else just these exact places on my chest and the folds of my elbows , would greatly appreciate your reply.

I find using coconut oil all year round does help it's never as bad as it was the first time I got it , the antifungal meds made only a slight difference really.

• Posted

Hi

I get it on my back in clusters 1 spot in the middle of my cleavage abit further down a tiny bit on my collar bone at the front and 3 dots on my arm which are very tiny but I know that they are there. Is there any ways you can send photos on here as I would love to exchange them to compare (sorry if that sounds weird) but I never see any that look like mine.

I went doctors again today. They won't refer me to dermo as I saw a MILD improvement in the shampoo. I've got to use selsun for 6 months and then they will refer me if it hasn't gone?? I was so mad but not as upset as when the other doc told me I had vitiligo and it's going to spread all over my face and hands and feet. I don't think it is that but i can't stop thinking if it is I'm going to be covered before I'm 25.

I notice it to get quite bad after a holiday as I tan very dark too although this is only my first year with it. I went on 4 holidays last year and each one it got worse...I'm just hoping this year it will go before I get on holiday in June!!

• Posted

That's ridiculous because in 6 months your tan will fade and they will think it's gone ! I actually went to a different gp last year as her background was dermatology , didn't need a referral or anything like that , I didn't know what I had until I went to her she did all the proper tests and sat with me for ages while I cried my eyes out 😔 it's so hard to judge if it's gonna happen before going on holiday cause you don't see it until you tan ... I was on the pill the first year I got it , so I stopped taking that , washed all my clothes after each use .. The only reason I think it's back is just I wasn't vigilant enough with using the shampoo , and I think my skin is damaged from steroid creams for my eczema. How did yours come out first ? Was it a rash and then turned to flaky skin? And then it starts to merge together , that seems to be the way it works for me anyway! I don't know how to post pics on this but I have no problem with sharing mine
    • Posted

Mine isn't flaky skin. It first came out on holiday last year and then go worse each time I went on holiday and got more tanned. By the end my back was covered and I thought it was my sun cream!! Now it's merged together and looks awful big clusters all over. :-(.

I wish I could see a doctor who cared. The ones at my surgery are so rude and I considerate. They rush you out as if there too busy to speak :-(.

I will find out how to post pictures.

• Posted

Yeah I had the same expeirences with my own docs too they just say stay out of the sun , which is stupid advice cause I'm young I want to go on a holidays.. I feel your pain , it's been happening to me for the last 4 summers and the weather has been so nice at home everyone is out and I feel like crap cause I hate looking at it , it's only for a few months tho it will fade away before winter.. Mine starts out kinda dry and then when it spreads it's just flat white spots like the skin just changed colour over night😔
    • Posted

Mine is all over my stomach, back (upper and lower) and chest spreading to under arms. It's awful. I hate to say it, but I don't think there's anything they can do. I've been using fake tan and it's been showing up really badly (like it would with a normal tan). I'm worried I've spread it with the tanning mit. Urgh cry
    • Posted

Yeah I know I've tried everything aswell but it never got as bad as it did since I first got it , I don't get it on my stomach anymore , my shoulders and arms really.. The only thing that works is not tanning which sucks because tanning used to be the only way I could clear my eczema for the summer.. It is awful It puts me in such an awful mood for weeks coming up to the summer 😔 I use Sally Hansen sprat tan for legs just around my elbow so it's not as noticeable in work that works ok for me , if still shows up but it's not as bad as other tans I used before.. It takes a lot to get used to , it's horrible but it's nice to actually chat with ye as I think my family and boyfriend just pretend they don't see it and tell me it's grand but at least ye can feel my pain 😒

• Posted

I've been undergoing treatment for almost a year and it's worse if anything, I see no end to this! I agree, having people to talk to about it helps.
    • Posted

I know It's so frustrating , at least you have a place to vent to people who understand , it helps to stay somewhat positive about the whole thing 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.