Pityriasis Versicolor that won't go away

Posted , 26 users are following.

I first started getting pityriasis versicolor a few years back on holiday. I discovered a load of white scaly dots on my stomach in a line straight down the middle (it resembled a sort of plane landing strip as the dots had joined!). I ignored it thinking it would go, which it did, until I went on holiday again. After three years of it returning each time I went abroad, I went to the doctors. I was prescribed the shampoo they recommend to cure it, and it didn’t work. It came back even worse. I went back to the doctors and he then said it’s the worst case he’s seen in all his years of being a doctor, I was mortified! It covered my stomach, back and even part of my legs. I was then prescribed anti-fungal tablets which appear to have made zero difference. The only other advice I was given was ‘don’t go to hot countries’. There is a whole world out there that I am determined to see, so no way in hell am I taking that advice. I’m doing some traveling for a month at the end of the year to 3 incredibly hot countries, so I NEED to get this sorted. Please help :-(

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It is nice to talk about it.

I don't think you can share pics on here but my email address is _______ I will send you a photo of my back and see if they looks similar. I'm just so fed up with it all now! Just want it to disappear and be back to normal again :-(

I love the sun and going on holiday is one of the only things I spend my money on and this has ruined my plans to travel the world as I can't bare to wear t shirts and cover it :-(

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Oops I didn't realise you wasn't allowed to post email addresses. Sorry!!

My phone won't allow me to post photos so I will once in a pc

smile

• Posted

Hi Katie, I've had this condition for years now. Tried creams and tablets. Today I started Selsun to see how that goes. I've also got coconut oil and aloe Vera cream which I read can help. It's now spread from my back, arms, cleavage and is on my neck and face now, just started out in the red patches ready for the sun to turn it white. The only thing that helped me was a clean eating diet. I suffer from recurring thrush too and although apparently they aren't related, both conditions are yeast overgrowth. Starting clean eating again on Tuesday, but I like bad things so will see how it goes!!
  • Posted

Hi Katie! I cane across this thread as i am trying to figure out what would help my PV! It started as red patches then turned white. Iv tried everything: Fluconazole tabs, Itraconazole caps, Terbinafine caps, miconazole, ketoconazole creams, Selsun Blue shampoo but to no avail!

How is your skin condition?

I am losing my mind!

Help!

• Posted

Hi Darahc,

I had suffered from Tinea Versicolor for a year until I found a cure that worked for me. Although it does come back every year (only very lightly when I'm tanned), I get rid of the patches completely in time for holiday each year and I barely even think about it (had quite a lucky case of TV? Or what I do might also work as well for others). Prior to holiday I take 2 weeks worth of Itraconazole and remove bread/gluten (pizza etc) COMPLETELY out of my diet, and whilst on holiday I take another 2 weeks worth of Itraconazole and ensure I consume absolutely no bread. I have found that removing bread especially from my diet has helped with getting rid of the TV, and taking the full 4 weeks worth of itraconzole. I have taken 2 weeks worth in the past and it did not work- so taking a whole months' worth is vital. Also make sure you completely cut mushrooms out of your diet (for good unfortunately) and consume as little dairy as possible.

Hope this helps and works for you too!!

Katherine

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I had suffered from Tinea Versicolor for a year until I found a cure that worked for me. Although it does come back every year (only very lightly when I'm tanned), I get rid of the patches completely in time for holiday each year and I barely even think about it (had quite a lucky case of TV? Or what I do might also work as well for others). Prior to holiday I take 2 weeks worth of Itraconazole and remove bread/gluten (pizza etc) COMPLETELY out of my diet, and whilst on holiday I take another 2 weeks worth of Itraconazole and ensure I consume absolutely no bread. I have found that removing bread especially from my diet has helped with getting rid of the TV, and taking the full 4 weeks worth of itraconzole. I have taken 2 weeks worth in the past and it did not work- so taking a whole months' worth is vital. Also make sure you completely cut mushrooms out of your diet (for good unfortunately) and consume as little dairy as possible.

Hope this helps and works for you too!!

Katherine 

• Posted

Hi Katherine!

Thanks for your reply! What is the dosage of your daily intake of Itraconazole for 1 month? 100g? 200g? And u take it for 1 month straight? Do u apply a topical medication too while taking Itraconazole tabs? Wow, you are so strong to be able to cut down bread and mushroom intake (and pizza)!

Will be waiting for your response.

Thanks very much wink

Best,

Darah

• Posted

Hi Katie, I am kind of the one with the questions, hoping someone could help! my 8 year old daughter was just diagnosed with this, it started off as a red spots that iched, thought it was a rash when the red spot cleared up her skin underneath were discolored and they have not got better. reading through some of these comments are pretty scary, she is already getting teased at school ): what do people mean when they say "holiday"?

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that! Like it's been said above, there are various treatments for TV (medicated shampoo, cream, coconut oil, tablets, etc), but no definite way to make it go away for good sad

As for the references to "holiday", generally TV gets worse in the summer due to the heat (also looks worse when you have a tan because the affected areas don't get tanned so the difference in skin tone is even greater than normal), so they're probably referring to the summer holidays.

• Posted

Hi. There is no cream or pill that will make it go away completely. It's a yeast overgrowth, caused by yeast in the gut. I have this and every time I consume gluten and products with sugar it comes back because that's what feeds the yeast. If you cut out sugary and white gluten products you will find a significant improvement. 

• Posted

Hi I’ve had this condition for about 10 years now but I only had it diagnosed a few months ago when I paid to see aprivate dermatologist. I have just returned from a hot holiday and it’s the worse it’s ever been. I have tried the tablets but I was only prescribed them for 2 weeks. I was prescribed the shampoo 2 weeks before I went on holiday but that made no difference whatsoever.

The dermatologist advised me to use head and shoulders dandruff shampoo as shower gel 3 times a week. Which I was doing but it didn’t make it go away. I have t used it for about 3 weeks so not sure if that’s why it’s got worse.

I’ve got it in a new area now. Which I sat the top of my thighs. I usually where a tankini when on holiday as this covers up the worst of it which is on my stomach and back but I can’t really hide my thighs unless I’m going to start wearing shorts too.

I love the hot weather although I don’t tan that well but even so my patches show up just as bad.

The only way to stop it seems to be to never get a tan.

I’m going to go back to the GP and ask him to refer me to a dermatologist as I can afford to go private again.

I will try the olive oil too. Anything is with a go. I hate having this condition. There must be a cure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.