Pizotifen stopped working after lowering the dose and increasing it again

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

My girlfriend is having the worst year of her life, I hope I can get some help here.

She's experienced severe (vestibular?) migraines last December and ended up bed ridden for about 6 months, agonizing and unable to function. During that time we discovered that she also had a mould infection. After many consultations and tests she's been prescribed some Pizotifen and another medication for the mold. We still don't know how much of her symptoms were due to the mold in her blood stream or the migraines.

She's been feeling better for the last few months, and last week she cut her dose of Pizotifen by half - from 1mg to 0.5mg. Severe symptoms came back almost immediately, she ended up feeling like she did before. She then went back to her previous dose of 1mg, but it's been a week there isn't any difference.

She is terrified because she's back in this unbearable state and right now Pizotifen is not working like it did previously. I've read that in some cases it stops working even if you go back to the normal dose after lowering it.

I am hoping to get some reassurance and some insights about what may be happening. Is it normal for it to take a while before becoming efficient again?

Thank you so much for reading.

Will

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I think that a low dosage is a bad thing, 0.5mg is a dosage too small. 1mg is still a dosage too small to take effect and help the body. Just give it time and tell her to return to the original dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.