Pizotitfen

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first migraine when i was 17, and was taken into hospital with it. I'm now 30 and the migraines have become steadily worse. I spent years at the docs going through every medicine in his book, including blood pressure meds and anti-depressants, i've gone on and come off the pill, been prescribed different brands, kept food and migraine diaries, tried yoga and meditation, even quit my office job and moved to the countryside. The only thing I know is stress triggers my migraines. So I've tried to reduce stress in my life as much as poss. But in the last few months the migraines have become unbearable, 1-3 a week, sometimes every other day, lasting 1-3 days, and completely debilitating. I'm trying to live a normal life at the same time, trying to hold down my job. But I've had a lot of sick days, so try to fill myself up on painkillers to numb it just enough to get through a days work. I'm at the end of my tether, my doctor has promised me a referal to a neurologist, but first has got me on a course of pizotitfen as a last resort effort to stop the migraines. I'm on day 4 of the course, starting on 1 a night, tonight I have to increase that to 2, then in a few days increase it to 3 a night. All I can say so far is I am exhausted and miserable. The first day I felt tired, the second day I fell asleep on the bus to work in the morning, felt like a zombie all day, slept on the bus on the way home, then go straight into bed. Yesterday was the same, but I was falling asleep at my desk aswell. Today I have had to call in sick. I slept until 1pm, had to sleep again at 3pm, and am stuggling to get off the sofa. My appetite has increased, but I find it worst at work, I'm constantly stuffing sugary food in my mouth just for energy to stay awake.

I lost the hope of a miracle cure a long time ago. But can't believe how bad i feel right now. Having read what you all have to say about this drug I'm not filled with promise that it will help.

I'm a zombie when I have a migraine, I'm a zombie when I'm taking painkillers for a migraine, and I'm more of a zombie than ever now I'm on the pizotitfen.

I hate taking pills, and of everything I've been prescribed until now, these tablets are the worst.

When I don't have migraines I am an energetic fun person, who loves being outdoors running around and being around friends.

Recently it's as much as I can do just to drag myself to work. I stay in bed, can't bring myself to exercise or face people. The last few days have been worse of all, and at least I know it is partly due to the pizotitfen having read your similiar experiences.

I'd give anything to be me, and be happy and bubbly again. Not the zombie that I have slowly been becoming over the last year.

Sorry for the lengthy post. But no-one really understands what I'm going through, and people have slowly lost sympathy. Everyone seems to think there is a miracle pill that will make it all better. But all the pills seem to do is make me less of a person.

I hope you all find ways to cope and manage your migraines. I don't think pizotitfen will be my cure, at least not if I continue to feel like this.

If anyone can recommend anything I'd be glad to hear it. I've pretty much lost hope now.

Thanks, Sam.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam.

I am EXACTLY the same as you, I completely understand, your story mirrors mine completely. I am 30 and my migraines have got worse recently to the point where all I can think about is my health and how much my head hurts, not my job, my friends, my life that I used to have. Pizotifen takes the edge off the pain very slightly but it's not enough! It makes me eat sugar, put on weight, sleep too much, like a zombie. I am too at the end of my tether. I can't give up work but dream about being able to. I hope people read this and can suggest something, anything!

• Posted

Hi there sleepysam sad

I too was prescribed Pizotifen and after just 5 days on it I decided to stop as I felt so ill and tired. Then when I read up about the effects it was having on people I decided to look for an alternative. So I came across a herb called FEVERFEW. I took one a day and it did seem to help. Then I tried without them and the migraines got worse again. So I am trying the feverfew capsules again at the moment and when I do get a migraine I just take my Sumatriptan as usual. I'm still experimenting with them at the moment so I can't say that they have cured me yet but time will tell. I don't have any side effects with them as they are just a herb. I think the government should recognize Migraine as a disability because it is impossible to hold down a job. :cry:

• Posted

FeverFew didn't work for me. It's from the asprin family so be cafeful not to take too much or alongside certain pain killers.

Stick with Pizotifen for a few weeks at least. I have tried the beta blockers, which played with my BP and was really horrid. They were prescribed to my by neurologist.

I would rather be sleepy which I am than have the daily migraines as I was having previously. You need to weigh up the pros and cons really. You will find an alternative that works.

One big hot strong coffee if you feel one coming along can stop it, caffine is great! Solpadine plus, is bloody brill and co-drydramol really helps to take the edge off. I also have [b:30a5eb9050]Maxalt (rizatriptan)[/b:30a5eb9050] they dissolve in your mouth, if taken early can stop it all together.

It doesn't sound like you have exhausted all areas yet my lovely!!!

Don't give up. Being stressed about having migraines doesn't help, easy to say but I know how you feel.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.

I've finished the 4 week course of Pizotifen, it had no affect on the number of severity of my migraines, so I can safely say it didn't work for me. I tried the full dose.

I've tried feverfew in the past. I took it for 6 months but found it had no affect.

I've pretty much been living on solpadeine, codis and co-dydramol for the last few years.

I have an appointment for neurology at the end of July, its going to be a 200 mile journey to Southampton hospital and the appointment letter says I might not even see the consultant on the day.

The doctor has given me sumatriptan injections, of which I've got through 3 in the last 2 weeks. It's worked once, but not the other 2 times.

I'm also halfway through a 6 week programme of acupuncture. Which helps relax me, but it hasn't had any real affect on the migraines yet and seems to wear off pretty quick.

I'm also now being laid off from work. They have had enough of my sickness absences and are rendering me incapable of doing my job.

I'm trying not to stress. I'm trying not to be depressed. I just don't know how much more I can take.

If anything try one or all of the things I have been prescribed in the past, just because it didn't work for me doesn't it won't work for you.

My doctor has now told me there is nothing more he can do for me.

If I get anything positive out of the neurology appointment I will be sure to pass it on.

• Posted

Something I would recommend if your migraines are stress induced is a course of aromatherapy massage. I find my body becomes tenser and tenser over time and with that comes an increase in headaches and migraines. A good aromatherapist will tailor the oils for you, and can occasionally give you a blend to take away for when a migraine strikes. I've found peppermint and lavender oil on a tissue really helps reduce the associated nausea. So if I get a migraine I no longer spend it curled up next to the loo.
  • Posted

:lol: Hi all, I too suffer horrendous migraines but also have multiple sclerosis so they are part of my package. I would like to mention something some people may not be aware of but have any of you had your heart health checked as migraines can sometimes be a symptom of this. I don't want to scare anyone but this has sometimes been known to be the cause of the migraines. Sorry if I scare you but may be simple if this is the problem at least you would have a cause. take care all and drink lots of water to flush the toxins.Mel
  • Posted

hi, I am a migraine sufferer as well, have you try botox, it can be a bit expensive but you will be migraine free for at least 3 months, as soon as you get another migraine you know it's time for a top up, another thing that works very well it's something called acu lift, it's more expensive but sounds more healthy that botox.

i have been prescribed Pizotifen, but I think after reading a few experience I will continuos with botox.

• Posted

I want to begin by saying that I am no medical professional of any degree. All that I know of this product came from an information sheet (given to doctors and nurses).

Following this I want to apologize if any of this information is already available here. I just thought that people should know of the effects of this product and seeing as how I had the information readily available to me I thought I should share.

When I was first given Pizotifen by my doctor, I thought to myself, wonderful I now have something that can prevent my migraines which I have almost everyday.

My Girlfriend of the times mother works at a hospital and printed me out the full MIMS Abbreviated Prescribing Information sheet. From this I saw just how bad this product can be for you.

The adverse reactions listed on the sheet that can be caused by it include; Impaired alertness, sedation, fatigue, appetite stimulation, weight gain, dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, constipation, nervousness (children), oedema, headaches, hypo tension, rashes, muscle pain, paraesthesiae, impotence, hallucinations, fits and others.

The most common of these reactions are said to be the appetite stimulation, the weight gain, and sedation. Following this is a breakdown of the probability of the other reactions occurring.

Most of this information can also be found by typing SANDOMIGRAN® PI into google and clicking on 'quick view' on the first result.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.