PKR 3 months out experiencing weird pain- Need advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone! I'm back to get some advice. I had a partial knee replacement at the beginning of Nov. It was no picnic but I got through it. Went to PT for about a month and was able to bend it to about 135 which they said was better than some people have all the time. Anyway, went back to work at the end of Dec. My knee is now painful and swollen again. While doing PT last night it felt like it did when I tore my meniscus. By the late evening I have trouble doing the stairs. Is this normal? I have had problems with fluid build up in the past and wondering if that could be occurring again. I need some of the group's expert advice

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

We're you on your feet standing for a long time?

We're you sitting with your legs NOT elevated for awhile (like in a car for a couple hours)?

Did you eat some salty foods?

All of the above have caused me swelling, pain, and feeling like I am set back in my recovery.

Try drinking more water, ELEVATING both legs WAAAY above your heart as you REST, and stretch your hamstrings slowly, relax, and stretch again slowly, increasing your stretch.

This is what I do, and it has helped with both of my TKR surgery recoveries.

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks TKR and if I sit for a long timeor stand for a long time it stiffens and throbs. Ice, elevation as Cheryl, says will calm it down and a painkiller if its getting you down.

Still have the thunder and lightning pains. thunder is the dull ache in calf and hamstrings and lightning is the sharp stabbing pain in the knee which I'm told is the nerves healing.

My knee does swell but not that much, but mine never did swell too much.

I think your just about par for the course at 3months.  Way to go yet I'm afraid.

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

Ann- the nerve pains were the worst for me. I am going to try to back off the activity. I am trying to get it better as fast as I can. Ruined a bunch of family vacations last year and I didn't want it to be about me again. Hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Hi Sandybug

Defiitely back off the exercises for a couple of days.

You sound like me!

I did all PT 2-3 times a day. cycling, walking, thinking I would get better quicker the more I did. If PT said do 10 repeats  I would do 20.  It just doesnt work like that I'm afraid. Got told off on the forum by a few of the friends here.  Rested for 2 days - I hadnt missed a day since I came home from hospital (fanatic!)- and started again, gently this time. I had definitely set myself back.

So my advise to you is take a day or 2 off, its hard I know, because you become obsessed with it, trying for the bend trying for the staight leg.

Start again but gently and you will improve.

You'll get there

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

I had TKR nearly four years ago.

I overdid it so had a period when my knee was worse again.

It is fine now.

I think this maybe what has happened, particularly if physio thinks your bend is more than normal.

Try slowing down for a bit

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah.

• Posted

Sarah - thanks! Think I will give that a try. Maybe get in a pool too
  • Posted

I don't think that's normal...I would get it checked in case of infection . .and I hope it's all OK for you in a day or two!

• Posted

hello- IT's not getting better, maybe even feel a little worse each day. I don't think it's an infection because I don't feel sick anywhere e,she. No fever, etc. I may try to get an appt soon. Thanks for the response
  • Posted

Thanks everyone! I really haven't been doing anything different. I did start walking more because I thought it had something to do with the muscles around it. It almost feels like pre-surgery, hurts when laying down. I will start icing it again and maybe reach out to dr. Thanks for the advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.