Pkr op date in........

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all.

Im a 45 year old female, and after being off work for what seems like a lifetime (5 months), and Orthoscopy done in October which made things worse my surgeon has now given me a date for my PNR, April 6th.

I need both knees done but the worse of the two is the Left so that will be done first. 

Now that i have been given a date total fear has set in. After my Orthoscopy the pain was anything but better than before. Swelling took until Jan to go down and between all the meds i am on the weight gain has not helped the current mood of completly hacked off and feel like im in this big dark hole that i cant see myself getting out of any time soon.  I need some positive examples to help me move forward to my op dateneutral

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

What country are you in
    • Posted

Not sure what the rules and regs are for you up North, but here in the south, you have a pre-op assessment, (after the date for your op is set up), they take your blood, go through all and any medical issues that you have, what anaesthetic you are going to have, they give you the opportunity to ask as many questions as you like, even if you think they are stupid ones. This takes around 4 hours (that is your allocated time).  If, between now and when you go for the op, work on your muscles, you will benefit, especially your quad muscles as these will lose the power to work and atrophy very quickly.  Your other leg may be painful, but work on those muscles as well because you will need to have it as weight bearing as possible!  I am not going to go into the pain of it all when you come round, needless to say, you take the drugs offered and if they are not enough you  ask for more. When you are in pain, you will not be able to work that knee when they get you out of bed. Sounds really cruel, when they make you get out of bed and make you take those first steps, you will panic, you will be scared, but it is for the best to get as active as possible as soon as possible. Your joint will not give way.  But you may not be able to feel your toes and your leg will be numb (yup you are in pain, but your leg is numb). When you are in bed, (after the first steps of excruciating pain), try and slide your leg up and down at every opportunity; the idea is to work on those poor muscles.  Does not have to be big movements, think of baby steps, ease your leg back until it is too painful and hold it there for as long as you can bear, then release and start over.  The physio will have been in prior to them knocking you out, they will have spoken to the surgeon and they will come and see you before you really come round after the operation.  Sometimes their bedside manner is the absolute pits, others can be real babes.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, if you are in pain, tell them, do not suffer in silence, it will delay your recovery. Hope that is of help to you
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I also went through 2 Arthrocopes on my left knee and one on the right.  None of them helped.  I had the injections and still had no relief.  I had the miserable pain of bone on bone in my knees for about 7 years and just kept being told by docs that I was too young for replacement.  In September 2015, I finally had my first PKR in the right knee and in December, I had the other one done.  While I am still sore from the surgery, I feel like I finally have my life back.  I am really looking forward to a pain free summer!  

You really have to get your mind right before you do this.  Stay very positive and that will only help matters!  Do what you are told and rehab will go fine. The doctors make PKR sound like it's a breeze compared to TKR.  I'm not convinced of that!  I think we all heal differently and I've always been pretty quick to bounce back, but it's not a surgery you just bounce back from.  It takes time and lots of patience.  I still am dealing with the healing at 12 weeks but it's nothing like the pain I had before.  The right knee that I had done in September is doing great but I still feel some tightening when I've had a long day on my feet.  I've been told it can be a year before I'm totally pain free.  Even so, I say I feel the soreness (instead of pain) of surgery, because what I have now is nothing like the pain I had before.

I think this forum has been great.  Whenever I have a question, I can always find an answer on this.  It helps when someone else is going through the same thing you are.  

Good luck to you and keep your chin up!!!!  smile

• Posted

Hi there. Thank you so much for your reply. I've had pain for well over 10 years. No cartridge so bone on bone. Legs gives way all the time,lost count of how many times I've fallen down the stairs. Surgeon convinced I have ,in his words something not quite right with my knees! I've never had any leg injuries childhood or adult.

After the orthoscope ,where I was convinced it would help but didn't I'm just really worried I will go backwards again instead of forward.

Got to the point now I'm ready to hand my notice in at work( I'm a pharmacy dispenser). I just can't see how I'm going to go through this with my Left and then Right knee and be back to work within a sensible time scale. Im on my feet constantly at work. Work have been great,I've a lovely boss and she knows I'm not taking the .....with being off. I find it painful to stand,aches when I sit,can't walk far without pain. Lol I feel 85 not 45!

• Posted

Yes, I totally understand!  I tried everything and nothing has worked so I was pretty skeptical of this as well!  I do feel like it has worked but it has taken alot longer than I was hoping!  People on this forum have told me I have to be patient.  Six weeks after my first PKR I was able to go back to working but my left knee still hurt so bad that it was pretty miserable still.  I feel like I  I have done nothing since the first one in September!  If you do them a few months apart, I'm sure you'll have the same problem unfortunately!  I wanted to have both of mine done at once but couldn't find a doc that was in my insurance that would do it.  I know now that that would be tricky!

You'll get there but it will take time.  Good luck!

• Posted

This is a process rather than a proceedure and you have to be faithful to the process. Dr's (surgeons) do their business and then leave you to The other protocols (pain managment and physical therapy ) to do theirs. Each step is important and can't be ignored or skipped. Now I'm speaking form the norm.......1st 2 or three weeks will be intense pain. No matter if its PKR or TKR this is a traumatic experience but one with great rewards. At 2-3 weeks the stitches or staples (Dr's choice and some even use glue). At 1st glance you want to disown the leg but in a few weeks the incision starts flattening and just like the pain and the use of the leg it gets better. When you get into rehab there is the human nature that sets in. Therapy will push you hard and the body will rebel. Listen to the body. Always work up to pain but never into pain. Again, most of these professional will never tell you about the components of getting as much rest as you can when, whenever you can and stay hydrated.......well hydrated........medicine and excercise needs that extra fluid during times like this.

I'm going to jump back to today........start working on strengthening your quads, the muscles above the knee. Ask a therapist or go on U t**b for for instructions. The stronger the quads the faster the healing and painwill go away because this is the most critical area in the process of rehab.

Now back to post op. You will need help....you really can't do everything yourself. Make sure you have a commode to put over the toilet and hopefully you have a bath on your main floor. Try to get some easy nutrition in the freezer because you won't feel like being the gourmet chef when you come home. Your surgeon will dictate your ambulatory needs. Seems like the UK relies on crutches and in the US its walkers. Check this out in advance and make sure you have what you need when you get home. Icing is necessary immediately and often. I have always ( 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs) used a blue gel pack which are available thru Amazon at about as good of o dices as you can find. Other use bags of peas and some but the more expensive cryocuff. If you decide on the gel Pac get the largest one so it covers new and thigh.

You will get a lot of additional info as far as apparel and footwear from some of the ladies on here. Stay with this group. Someone has seen every part of what is right and what can go wrong. It takes time.......body and brain are world's apart in the beginning and slowly all become one again. It takes time and no matter how much of a " I want it but I want it now" person you are, nature will prevail. Your family and close friends can be either your closest allies or your biggest enemies. People will always give you stories about someone they heard about or some such thing that had this recovery that had them running a marathon at 13 weeks........don't get caught up in it and don't let it make you feel like a loser. Hang in there and ask lots of questions........the responses will come fast and from all over the world.

Most important....you will be in probably the worst pain you have ever experience but it goes away....slowly.......but it goes and your life will eventually be better.

• Posted

Julie, this is the guy you want to listen to!  I always look for his responses as he gives fantastic advice!  Thanks so much, Oldfatguy!!!!  smile
    • Posted

Hello Retha

All is great advice. I keep a few things in mind:

The pain you feel (which can and should be masked by drugs) is recovery. It's not pain for sake of pain. The post op pain is "good" pain.

I came home with oxycontin, vicodin,

Mobic. The first week I used combo of oxy and vicodin and took mobic 2x a day til script ran out.

After about a7-10 days I stopped oxy. Carried on with vicodin. 16 wks later I take vico 2 times a week and let tylenol xtra strngth take over. I had 1 knee done 16 wks and the other 9 wks ago.

It is a process- there is no quick way back. Slow and easy are the only words you should say.

Words of the day: oh frick, good pain, slow and easy, need meds now!

Definitely start exercizes NOW. You'll be glad you did.

Stay in touch

Elaine from Michigan US

• Posted

Thank you do much for all your advice. Ice pack's ordered and off to watch yt for exercises smile
  • Posted

hi Julie  i can see were you are coming from. I was told in Oct 15 i needed my left and right  knees  replacing  I had an 18 week waiting time to mull over what I had let my self into,The best advice I   got was to build up my thigh muscles , stretch my hamstrings and calf muscles. These exercises yoy will find on the internet (you tube) Come Jan 2016 I had my first op ( LK) this is a total knee op.

I will not beat around the bush there was a lot of pain post op . but here in the UK there is plenty of access to powerful pain relief ie  oramorph, cocodomol,tramadol, these all helpto get you though the post op exercises you MUST do to get back to normal . I  now am 9 wks post op with plenty of movement in the knee good flex and can walk unaided  a good distance.I still get some moderate pain needing lower strength pain killers. so there it is no punches pulled. you get out what you put in, take pain killers regular, rest, and exercise use regular ice packs good luck  Colin 

• Posted

I know...what you mean....did tkr 1/28....,is a long process....you need to make sure that you are ready to deal with the discomfort...pain and swelling...some sleepless nights... make sure they give you enough pain meds....I take. Tylenol with codeine...it works makes me sleppy....but is ok..I need to rest....I do feel I'm getting better....it just take time
  • Posted

julie1508, listen to the post from Oldfatguy1, he's been there done that. I'd only add one thing. When/if they put you on Opoid pain meds, be sure you take a laxative with it!!!!! The Opoid pain meds WILL constipate you! They didn't tell me this when I had my TKR, so I didn't take the laxative they gave me in hospital, BIG mistake!!! I was 10 days w/o going to the bathroom and ended up taking a mega laxative, that wasn't fun either. With everything else Oldfatguy1, is right on the money. You will learn a lot by staying in this forum. We've all gone through this and managed to come out the other end of the tunnel.  This is NOT a race to get back to normal. It is a one day at a time. There will be setbacks, crying, sleeplessness, pain, frustration BUT it is all worth it in the end. So hang in there and be prepared for the LONG haul.  
  • Posted

This may sound strange, but find something to squeez.  When I had my back surgery it was recommended on the back forum.  I have a small cat that I can get my hand around and it does help.  Have talked to some others and it helped them with whatever surgery they were having.  

Could be a stress ballor just anything you can have in your hand to crush.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hiya lynda

I'm presuming its not a real cat!?!

I have stress putty so I'm wondering if that will do me? Don't think either my German Shepherd or Lhasa also would allow me to squeeze it Lol smile

• Posted

Hi Julie and Lynda

Lolololol You both gave me a start and my morning laugh. Lolololololol

Thanks!!!!!!!

Elaine

• Posted

Lynda

I can't stop chuckling about the cat- once I found out the cat wasn't real.

It did scare me for a few seconds thinking we were going to need a whole new kind of forum - humane treat of cats. Lololololol

Thanks for a great laugh to start my day.

Elaine lolololololololol!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Glad you figured it out.  No my three furbabies wouldn't  let me take  them to the hospital.  They will even be friendly to my daughter by the time I get back home (and they think she is a cat cannibal). One nurse asked what it would mean when I threw it at him - answer "Go get better drugs".  But the main thing is that it worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.