Plagued with Ectopics

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am posting here as I find some comfort in talking about my problems / issues wink

I started getting ectopic heartbeats a lot during summer of 2013, I would have a missed beat and then a hard thud beat afterwards after which the heartbeat would return to normal.  At first this really freaked me out.  When it got really bad I would feel as though my heartbeat would get very irregular which apparently was 1-3 ectopics in a row.  I went to see a heart consultant who did every test possible which came back normal and I wore a 48 hour Holter monitor which showed a number of ectopics ("look at this lovely ectopic" she would say, not how I would put it!!!!) and bizarrly sometimes when I felt I was having one the machine didn't pick anything up.  I would also get a PVC when engaged in (ahem) sexual activity.

I was put on beta blockers and escitalopram (for my health anxiety) to try and keep them under control.  I would have no other symptoms except for a churning, weird feeling in my stomach before or around when they happen.  No chest pain, dizzyness or anything else.

I recently started exercising again and felt great and was able to deal with the daily 10-20 ectopics I would get.  But recently they have returned with avengence, happening multiple times a day especially when I am sitting or lying down.  Its very scary and at times is ruining my life!

The crazy thing is that I think I have always had them, I went to have an ECG when I was 16 when I felt this flutter in my chest, its amazing how much more aware of them you become when you initially notice them.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had these issues now for 10 years! I guess that'sproof they are not that serious. I have had stress tests, echos, ecg and holters. I would say to anty one with them to first have them thoroughly checked out by experts. This will give you an expert diagnosis rather than the google doc. Let's be honest it's your main engine it not like having a bad arm, there is only one and it needs to work.

Once that's out the way you can staisfy yourself that the heart structure is sound and therefore is the electrics that are playing up nothing more. 

My grandad had these for many many years and passed away at the age of 94 not with a heart related issue. That should giver you some more faith.

I still suffer issues with them today I get them when I exercise and find that as my heart is working harder so the palps are amplified. It never ceases to scare me just the duration of panic is less with a better understanding.

• Posted

Thanks for starting this thread Julian, I’ve just been diagnosed with AF something heartbeat which is causing the Ectopic beats, sometimes goes on for a few minutes goes for a few hours comes back again, it’s causing me so much anxiety and upset. 

People think your fine and even have a smile on the face but want to go to bed and roll up in a ball. 

Off to see a cardiologist next week. Thanks

• Posted

I do sympathize but would say there are times I can suffer 4000 or more a day...  2 or more ectopics a minute, Started about 10 years ago and has slowly worsened. I am 64 now and whilst I should be used to them they do at times set me worrying and I have had a fair few visits to A&E. Also get a feeling of a lump in my throat and some chest tightening but that might be like a panic attack. Equally some days have none I am aware of. I would be happy with 30 or 40 ! 

Wont bore you but I too am one of the brigade who believe there is a connection between gastric issues and the heart. I gave GERD and a Hiatus Hernia and when they play up the heart seems to respond badly.  

• Posted

My cardiologist said the connection is real. It's to do with the vagus nerve. 

• Posted

Interesting. I was diagnosed with 2 ectopic beats a minute 43 years ago and prescribed a beta blocker which has served me well.

I'm now 71 and am having 33,000 ectopics every night and rising. The beta blocker now gives me low blood pressure.

For 43 years my ex husband criticised me for being unhealthy and 'too slow' when exercising. I've had hot flushes for 25 years. I thought it was my lot in life but now I blame ectopics and I'm due for ablation in a couple of weeks.

I got rid of the husband after 43 years and now I hoping to do the same with the ectopics.

Whoever told me all those years ago that they wouldn't affect my life and that they were insignificant wasnt exactly right.

This is interesting reading. Thank you.

• Posted

I started having heart palpitations around the age of 8 or 9. I'm 52 now and yes I still have them. In my experience, I have found that it has never made a difference what foods I eat, weather I was in shape out of shape, overweight or not, the heart palpitations come and go on a daily basis. When I was 17, I had extensive testing done . Stress test, eco cardio, cat scan, ekg and 24 hour monitor. Went back to the doctor for the results, was in his office for 1 minute to hear, there's nothing wrong. I was relieved, but disappointed because I knew right then it something I was going to have to live with. Make a long story short, I started taking a beta blocker and SSRI for anxiety when I was in my 30s. I still have heart palpitations even with the meds, but they do help. I continue to ask the doctor on every visit about it, and have an occasional ekg, but nothing changes. I'm convinced it would have killed me by now, which gives me a strange sense of contentment. Unlike others, I have no shortness of breath or pain associated with it. Anxiety and extreme frustration has been my side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.