Planes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone have any advice for handling the fear of flying ....always thinking that an SVT attack could happen while you're in the air...thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Paullie I've been dealing with svt for 20 years never had an attack while flying to be honest it could happen anywhere even while at home so live your life Hun and if it happens people on the planes are trained to deal with emergencies

• Posted

This is such a big fear for me too.  I have a long flight soon and I am dreading it.  \i would love to hear all your tips and suggestions too.
  • Posted

My fear too Paullie... I have not went on holiday since being diagnosed and it's having a Huge impact on family life... I also fear having one when on holiday and maybe have to go th hospital in a country I don't speak the language!

I would go with Chrissie's advive and just live your life - But I am struggling to do that right now...  

• Posted

Gillian do you have Facebook if so join a group called me myself and anxiety it's so good so many from around the world and svt brings on anxiety 6 months ago I couldn't leave the house 3 weeks ago I sat in the car for 4 hours while my daughter was in hospital the anxiety caused by svt is bad but talking to people who get it helps allot

• Posted

Hope the ideas you'll hearing from others will help, Paullie.  SVT and flying are challenging for many of us.  I encourage you to fly/travel anyway, and you may well do fine.

My SVT fear has made flying more difficult, and I'm a retired Naval Aerospace Physiologist who thinks of my military flying as the most satisfying part of my working life.  I often dread the possibility of SVT while flying, but do so anyway.  

I try to arrange a window seat and concentrate on the fun (for me) stuff--takeoffs, clouds, land and seascapes, sunrises and sunsets, and landings.  Even for a 6' 1" person squeezed into a small seat, this works very well. 

Maybe you can find equally effective distractions for you.  Cognitive therapy could help, too, and some people do well with pharmacueticals.

We do wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you All for your great advice! I will be keeping it all in mind when I am flying in the near future. As I gather more helpful advice I will share it with you 😊

• Posted

I got an adult coloring book and it helped so much with my anxiety while flying. I hope your flight goes well!
    • Posted

Sounds like an excellent idea, Rachnroyce. Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted

I also saw an adult dot to dot book the other day, might get one for my upcoming flight.
  • Posted

I've never tried the adult coloring books, even though they are all the rage...I'll have to start 😊...thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.