Planning for bilateral hip replacement in December 2016

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 56 years old. I'm planning to have bilateral hip replacement done in December. I currently have cortisone injections in both hips about every 90 days for arthritis. The injections help but last less and less. I'm nervous about surgery but also excited about feeling better and not needing injections anymore. I'm a NICU nurse and the 12 hour shifts are exhausting. The reason for waiting until December for surgery is to have more sick time built up at work and to have my husband off from work for a while to help. He works in school transportation so Winter break makes it possible to be off a bit. I'm interested in finding out from anyone who has had this surgery anything that would be useful for recovery at home. Any other input regarding your own experience would be appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rita,  I had a bilateral replacement done on the 11th of this month under spinal injection.  I am 55 yrs old and can tell you all going well.   Do get the raised seat for WC, and the long sponge for washing.   Also a grabber so you can pick things up.

Sleeping on your back you need to find your own position of comfort I have tried several ways and now have two extra pillows so I am semi sitting.  

You also need to have easy fitting shoes or I would say some trainers with velcro fasternings. 

Hope this helps.. if you want to know more let me know 

• Posted

Would slip on shoes such as Crocs or Merrills work? Or would the velcro trainers be better? 
    • Posted

Slip on or velcro I got some trainers with elastic laces so basically slip ons... Not sure about crocs and they may not be a good enough fit.     I also got some deck shoes which are nice and soft... remember your feet will swell and be about a size bigger 
    • Posted

I found a pair of lightweight slip-ons a few weeks ago and they were a little loose when I got home and tried them on. I had stopped at the store on my way home after work and just didn't feel up to trying them on. Thanks to your suggestions I won't return them for a smaller size. They will probably be about right for after.

• Posted

Hi Elaine. I'm trying to plan a chair for the living room post-surgery. Any suggestions? We currently have a double reclining couch, but that has the Basset Hound option that tries to get on my lap from the open side now, don't think that will change. We have an old recliner that we could replace with a different one but it's primarily used by the dog to look out the front window right now so I hate to invest a lot in something that will go back to being an expensive dog seat afterwords unless it's what I really need. I've considered an adjustable height tall office chair with a short ottoman I if I can lock the wheels. I would be able to use that at my computer desk later on. Any suggestions would be greatlyappreciated. Thanks

• Posted

You will need something that is high enough to get in out off,  I have a reclining chair so I can adjust the hieght to a comfy position depending on how I feel.   

If you have any charity shops nearby it maybe worth looking in one of them.  I have had to put cushions on mine just for a little extra padding as do not have the pleasure of being able to sit on one good hip.  

I think the dog will need to be rehomed from the chair for now.!!!  

The only other option maybe see if you can higher something from the Red Cross. 

• Posted

Thanks for your suggestion. My husband and I stopped at the KARM thrift store near us this afternoon. He was looking for a stroller to convert for shooting competitions and I looked at the furniture. Much to my surprise I found a power recliner that should work great and was very affordable and we helped feed the homeless with both of our purchases 😊

A very productive afternoon and one less thing to worry about pre-surgery. Just wanted to share my good fortune with someone. Hope you are having a good weekend.

• Posted

That is great Rita, my chair is electric recliner and makes it so easy to adjust... also I have slept in it when it is fully reclined.   

Here in the UK we are having an Indian Summer... just wish I could enjoy it a little more.   Keep in contact.. x

• Posted

Hi I had a bilateral hip replacement on 11 August this year.   I had this done by spinal injection rather than GA... I was sitting up in bed within a hour of the operation.  Up walking the next day.    It is hard as obviously both legs are affected with new joints... but my pain has gone the only pain is the operation recovery.   Also sleeping on your back... would recommend get a grabber to pick things up, and long handled sponge for showering, also some easy to wear shoes.. possibly velcro fastenings.   

The important thing is get moving and do your exercises.   No regrets but you do have good and bad days. 

• Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have what should be my last ever hip injections next Wednesday and I am 3 months away from being 4 days post-op. A little nervous but truthfully very excited about moving toward being able to move better again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.