Planning for bunion surgery when I live alone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I need to have bunion surgery on each of my feet. I live alone and do not have family in the area. I am talking to Visiting Angels/Home Instead and maybe others about paying them for post op care. This is very expensive so I am trying to figure out how much help I need. I do work from home. I live in a 1200 square townhouse spreadout on 3 floors. The middle floor is the main floor. My only full bath is upstairs.

They also seem to only have women healthcare providers. I have put on a lot of weight due to being sedentary for a while due to bunions. I am worried that they are not strong enough to really help me get in my house. I also have a stoop with two fairly high steps and no bannister to get up, then there is a stoop to get to the street. I am trying to figure out how I will do the aftercare. I am looking for advice from people who did this.

1. How long do I need to get 24x7 home healthcare? I was considering the first week. I was told the first several days I need constant ice. This is like $320/day.

2. How long after bunion surgery were you able to put any weight on your heel?

3. Do you have a recommendation for a good and sturdy type of cane?

4. I think the best way to get up and down my stairs and my stoop by myself is to sit on my butt. However, I am going to need something at the top of my stairs That is a little higher up for me to sit on so I dont have to stand up entirely with 1 leg. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can stack?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know cause I have one level it was hard I used crutches I would go have my surgery where my family is located hope everything works out

• Posted

Hello, I wouldn't get both feet done at once, you won't be able to get about. I can only think to try and sleep and live downstairs and go to the toilet upstairs via your bum/bottom/fanny lol if you are from the USA. Good luck and all the best.

s

• Posted

You will definitely need assistance for at least the first week. I was not allowed to put any weight on my foot for the first 8 weeks. I had a scooter and crutches to get around. I could not drive for 10 weeks. My advice is to get everything you need on your main level before your surgery. I also had a shower chair. I had to crawl up my stairs and go down on my bottom. I found that I constantly had to have my foot elevated to help with the swelling. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.