Planning for family, being AS patient what would be future of my offsprings as baby,kids and adults?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Everybuddy biggrin,

I'm new member of this community. Cheers..

I'm 29 y/o/m from India, diagonised with AS from last 4 years. I'm having sitting job and currently struggling to keep myself fit/straight/alligned. As per genetic history there was no case of AS previously neither in my father's family nor in my mother's family.

We are now planning for having baby, but I am not sure about the chances my baby may inherit the AS since there was no genetic history of this disorder in my & my wife's family, we both are not sure weather baby will inherit it.

I diagonised at 25th year and one month before my younger brother was also diagoinsed with AS, he is 22 y/o, there are cases where babies are being suffered with this disorder. We are not sure  what kind of future will be imparted to him/her. The life is tougher for ASisans, with such as worse lifestlye, would it not be the case where we may see not to give such a painstaking life...... We both are not sure.. please advise, may we go for it or may we not go for it...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi there I'm not sure about the medical stats on this I only know from my own family my grandmother had r.a, my father has osteoritus and

I have a.s.my brother who is two years older then me is fine with nothing . I have two children who are 20 and

18 with no signs so far of anything.this maybe not be scientific

but I hope this information is useful to you

take care

• Posted

Hi emm2,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will just pray for you and your children that every thing may go fine and the way you & your kids had planned for it. Its good to hear that your children had no sign of AS so far. This info quite useful for me and make me feel lighter..Thanks once again.. smile

• Posted

Hi there is  a history of AS in my Familie its on the female and appears to slip every other generation on the male side nothing I have both my children subject. I have had my two children given every test I can afford and they thankful are clear. The annoying thing for me is it looks like it's moved from female to male namely me.
  • Posted

Hi,

I also am not aware of the actul statistics but from personal experience there does seem to be a strong genetic component to many of these autoimmune diseases.  On my side I had a mother and both of my siblings have or had similar severe spinal issues.  Unfortunately they have gone undiagnosed so it is hard to make a definitive statement.  My wife has been dealing with RA for many years now and the incidences of RA or lupus or similar ailments on her side of the family are many.  So, at least from personal experience, these ailments do seem to run in families.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your two cents. It seems that what I can do is just to speculate about AS. I may or may not express in offspring. However I will keep my finger cross for its non expression.

We will also pray for recuperation of your family member from this painful ailment.

• Posted

Thank you much.  Prayers are always welcome.  A few final thoughts on this topic:  There is no shortage of information  to be found out there.  Simple searches on the inheritability of AS or the genetics of AS will return a great deal of information. Secondly, with each new generation our knowledge about AS and treatment options for AS will grow.  Hopefully future generations will have it better.  Third  I'm assuming once your child reaches a certain age you could always have them tested for HLA-B27.  If negative then the child should be in the clear.  I'm not sure what useful purpose knowing would serve but it may give you peace of mind.  And finally our son is turning 30 in about two weeks.  When we had him we had no idea about the genetics that we were passing to him.  My wife was diagnosed with RA when he was about 9 years old and I didn't get diagnosed with axial spondyloarthropathy until about four years ago.  So we were giving him a whole mixed bag of autoimmune disorders but so far at least, he shows no signs of problems.  So far, so good.  Best wishes for you and all of your futue family.
  • Posted

Good day! I can share my family history and hope I can give you some assistance with your question.

I'm now 46 years old. I was diagnosed with AS when I was 28. I had chronic lower back pain buttock pain since I was 16.

I have many siblings. However, I'm the only member of the family with Ankylosing Spondylitis. My father had Rheumatoid Arthritis. However, there is no other indications of the disease in our family history.

I have 55 nieces and nephews which only 1 currently has a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis. I have three children, all of which have varying degrees of AS. My youngest was actually diagnosed with it at the age of 6. I have recently considered having another child and I would assume that child has a great risk of having AS.

If I were you, I'd go forward believing your child will have AS but hope they don't.

I hope this can be useful to you.

Have a good day and keep a straight back.

• Posted

There are many sites on the "net" which include thoughts on this...maybe you could look there to consider your options.

• Posted

Hi my father had AS and I have AS but three brothers and sisters do not. Our older daughter has something similar but none of her cousins have it. So it runs in families but it is unpredictable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.