Planning meals to aid the healing of a duodenal ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with having a duodenal ulcer and spent the night in the hospital.  They gave me only liquids while in there and although there was no suggested meals information, they did say to stay on a clear liquids diet ..... for the most part.  What exactly does that mean???

I am looking for some ideas on what to eat while waiting for the upper and lower GI testing to begin.  Not sure if I have the H. Pylori bacteria as those results have not be received.

?Any ideas would be greatly appreciated right about now!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you have H pylori they will get you started on a treatment, as for your ulcer I would suggested not eating spicy foods, lemon type food and eat food your sotmach can handle. I suggest rice, banna, drink a lot of water and maybe make some banana smoothie? If you are afraid of loosing weight. I hope everythign goes well good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Adam, I was beginning to think I would never get a response. I never found out if I tested positive for H pylori as they sent me packing the moment a glitch showed up with my medical coverage.  I never received a treatment or information on how to care for myself until I am able to have an upper and lower GI testing done.  I pretty much knew that spicy foods, lemon based, etc., were to be put on hold but wasn't sure what to add.  No worries, I am learning what to eat, when to eat it and what to run very far away from!  I meet with my primary doctor this week and I am hoping to walk away with a plan of action .... no more guessing.  Thanks for replying, I wish you good health and happiness.  Take care!

• Posted

Hopefully they do the breath test for the hpylori and then get your upper and low GI done in the same week.
  • Posted

Make sure that you get a hida scan to check your gallbladder. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.