Planning on getting Linx surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I suffer severly from GERD. The pain has gotten to the point where I've had to leave my job and drop my classes because of the pain I get from it. I am 21 years old(22 next month) and live in San Jose, CA. I have had to go to the E.R. five times already and my doctor just keeps prescribing me medicines. At first the meds where working but now nothing works. The last medicine my Doctor prescribed me was Protonics. I keep telling my Doctor if they can do the LINX surgery on me but he doesn't want to. He says I am too young and that the medicine will work. I have insurance with Kaiser Hosptial. I am now at the point where I am going to search for a private Doctor to do the surgery on me. I know there is a doctor in Walnut Creek and a Doctor Tamas in UC Davis who does the surgery. Does anyone know of any other closer Doctor who can do the surgery on me? Will my Kaiser insurance pay for this if I get it somewhere else? Please help..

Thanks in advance,

Luis

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

luis,

the cost approximates $20K. cash might be a tad less.

whats the mg of your ppi? when are you taking it? and

for how long? ..did you do a UBT to rule out hpylori?

last but important..do you have a hiatal hernia?

claudio..sfo

• Posted

Hi donclaudio,

What do you mean by ppi??

No, I'm pretty sure its gerd. I've had it for about two years now..

No, I don't have a hiatal hernia yet.. I had an endoscopy done on Januaray of this year.

• Posted

protonics (protonix) is a ppi, proton pump inhibitor..

blocks the stomach walls from secreting HCL (acid),

my question is how long have you been on this specific med..and at what mg and how ofen? HPylori can

cause GERD. A simple Breath test UBT (UREA BREATH TEST) is often prescribed by gastroentrologists..oh and I just checked Mills Peninsula they want $50K..so my $20K might be low. If Kaiser has linx procedure, they

won't pay for it outside of Kaiser. claudio

• Posted

Hi Luis, sorry to hear about your troubles. The one thing you might not be considering is that the surgery might also not sovle your issues. I  would get your Mom and Dad involved. When your feeling ill for long periods of time it's natural to want to fix it at all costs b/c the alternative seems much worse. However, having another person or two to help make decisions with your best interest in mind is helpful. At an earlier point in my life I had a family friend (MD) who did nothing else for us, but tell us who was the best MD in our area for dealing with an issue we had. If he did not know them personally he would base his decision on where they went to school and their research in that area. If I were you I would ask your MD who this might be and also I would do my own research. Find out who in your city is known to be the best or one of the best to deal with Acid Reflux as well as who is available within a 2-3 hour drive. Maybe this board can help with that. I would create another question asking this. Like Don stated more research or testing would be beneficial. That's my two cents.

However, how about telling us what you have done and are currently doing to treat your AR? What are your symptoms? When do they mostly occur? What are you doing or eating before the symptoms occur.....? What are you doing to help prevent them?

• Posted

Do you get bad chest pains - what are the severe symptoms you are feeling -just curious as I have gerd too and suffer terribley from chest pains/indigestion.
  • Posted

hi my name is celina have you got the procedure done i also have acid reflux for three years im 28 and i tried so many acid reducers and had endoscopys done and rule out h pylorie and others im also looking insto linx have you got it done i live in woodland.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.