Planta fasciitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

my daughter is suffering with planta fasciitis and has been for about 6 months but the lady 3 months have been agonising for her, she had steroid injections but it had no affect. She has appointment in the middle of April at the hospital, but in the meanwhile she is now complaining of her knees hurting. She is taking anti inflammatory tablets, and had purchased heel pads but nothing is working, any help would appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, PF is certainly an excruciatingly painful condition.

I think if you read through a lot of previous posts you will get an idea of what to try. And when I say try, it is just that, what works for one person may not help another.

Cushioning heel pads are a must, and a supportive soft but not bendy shoe is good, people use Birkenstock sandals, Crocs, trainers, etc.

Rolling on a frozen water bottle can help but also hurts, taping can be good, ibuprofen gel, toe stretching all can help.

I find complete rest for several days is the only thing but of course for many people this is not possible.

The knee pain could be the result of walking in a different way to offset the pf pain, this can happen quite quickly and also spread to the hips.

PF as I've said before is a non life threatening condition and so doesn't get the interest or funding to really study it. The result is very much trial and error by the medics with no firm diagnosis of the actual problem, and if one thing doesn't work then just try a string of others.

Sorry if all this sounds rather negative but it is just what I have found, but i hope your daughter finds some relief soon. When it has cleared, calf-stretching is a must as this can prevent a further bout - well it does seem to work for me as apart from the odd twinge I have been pf free for over 18 months now.

• Posted

I should add that weight control can help PF. If you are overweight not only is the loading considerably more on the foot, but can lead to excessive pronation and a greater tendancy to stretch, weaken, and tear plantat facia ligament. It is these small tears that cause the inflammation and pain especially at the heel. Losing a few pounds can certainly help prevent and speed recovery but understandably is not an appealing option when you are already suffering a lot.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice, as I said previously my daughter who isn't overweight, has done all she can to alleviate this problem, she ad an appointment at the hospital for April, but the good old NHS as cancelled it until the end of May. I offered to pay private for her but even the doctor said it was better to the the consultant. So it's back to basics rest 

• Posted

Hello Jean - I really do feel your daughters suffering having gone through several bouts of PF lasting from days to months. At worst there was no way I could go outside, just hanging on the furniture and surfaces was the only way to get around.

The pain is terrible and after a while can make you feel quite depressed when it seems there is no relief or improvement. I did see an American leg brace that you strap on and take all the weight on the knee with the foot sticking out behind you - it was sold as an alternative to crutches and could be an answer to getting around.

I found the strong pain killer and anti-inflammatory Naproxen good. It can upset the stomach for many but must admit I took three times the recommended dose and it did help, but in no way do I recommend that anyone else does this.

The frozen water bottle rolling I think can do more harm than good, I found sitting on the edge of the bath with my foot in a bowl and constantly running colld water from the shower head for 30 minutes or so did give some relief. 

I hope you get the next appointment as this problem is really miserable, 

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.