Plantar Faciitis HELP!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mother has had Plantar Faciitis for several months, and she can't get any relief.  She had this many years ago, and had insoles made, and it finally went away. This time though, nothing is working.  She can't take any pain relieving drugs, (ie Tyelnol, Ibuprophen)  She is a breast cancer survivor and is subject to Gastro Bleeding from medications she had.  She has tried, the ice, heat, insoles, ..... everything!  Nothing is working.  Any help would be appreciated!! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've done it ALL.....only temporary relief with ice. A cortisone shot, though NOT FUN, worked for a few months. Switching to gel heels from orthoticshelped a little. Stretching exercises and massaging calves is helpful also. Still not a cure 😟

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

Your mother has my sympathy its the problem with getting old everything tightens up and hurts if you use it too much but sitting around is not an option, you have to keep moving so you have to do everything carefully.

The only way I cvan control pf is the use the thick gel heel pads that you can buy on line for a couple of quid, they are blue or red and come up if you google gel heel pads. Put them in a pair of trainers and wear only those trainers for at least a month and see if that helps. Stretching the calves also helps as it is these that strain the pf legiments and even as I type I am stretching mine you have to keep it up as pf is never cured it just goes away untill you stop doing any of the above. Walking boots are very good as long as you put those gel heel pads in, I have 10 pairs that I keep in all my trainers and walking boots and even my sleepers. You could try a pair of high heels as they alter the angle of the ankle which takes the strain off the pf legiments and is worth a try if you are a women who likes wearing high heels so is used to walking in them, not an option for most males as I cannot imagine how you can walk in them.

• Posted

one of the main reasons this keeps coming back is because as you get older its all about the calf muscles. as you age the muscles tighten up in your calves causing a pull on the heel in your foot and this also causes the part in the arch of your foot to form scar tissue. i am 65 and about 4 years ago i got this in both feet. after trying alot of things i finally figured out what worked the best. it finally went away. i figured this is over. i stopped doing the things that were working because i didnt know that it could come back. well it eventually came back and i do the same thing now every day. the first thing i do is roll a hard ball in the arch of my foot from the ball part of your foot to the back near the heel. when you first do this it is really painfull because you have to roll out the scar tissue. as you go along it will get better untill it doesnt hurt anymore. you really have to press down hard on the ball to make this work. the next thing i do is take a towel and put in under the ball of my foot and pull on it which stretches the calf muscles. this hurts a little but you have to stretch out those calf muscles. i put padded inserts in all my shoes and i put a velcro pad in the arch of my foot before putting my shoes on. thats it. i do this everyday and if i dont i know it will come back.
  • Posted

Helo Rhonda476909,

I have been dealing with plantar Faciitis for a while now and I have found that the only thing that has helped me are these foot compression wraps for the pain and swelling and before I go to bed and first thing in the morning I would do a blood flow stimulation therapy. The effects last for 4 hours which helps with any walking I have to do for the day. I also use support tape whenever I do any activites, if you are interested heres a link to the products I have used

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

Exercises, stretches and deep tissue massage are the only "real" treatment of plantar fasciitis. Everything else is just for a quick short-term relief.

Exercises and stretches that target directly to the fascia are scientifically proved to be the most effective type of exercises in treating pf. In addition to stretches that target the fascia, calves and Achilles tendon, you should find more exercises that help strengthen the intrinsic foot muscles, too. Weak foot muscles in elderly people are often the main cause of plantar fasciitis.

With deep tissue massage, you can use a tennis ball, golf ball or a roller to roll it under the foot with tons of pressure, this usually feels very painful, but it works. This video will give you more clear instructions on what I've said: [link removed by moderator]

Finally, if you want to alleviate the pain quickly, the most effective methods are taping the foot and wearing compression socks, they will show results more instantly more than any thing else like orthotics or exercises...

Hope these things will help your mom improve the condition!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.