Plantar Fasciitis

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am a retired OBGYN MD and a plantar fasciitis patient.  I have had plantar fasciitis for about 2 months and have researched extensively on the subject.  I am not a podiatrist, and I am not a chiropractor.  I think most of the stuff you read on the internet is a bunch of untested crap.  I don't believe in the foot exercises, the arch supports, the calf exercises, the night boots, etc.  I have read on the internet (from so called "doctor" experts) that you should have firm arches . . .   and I have read that you should have no arches - "walk barefoot only."  I have read "apply ice," and  I have read "apply heat - ice is harmful."  Noone seems to have any idea about how to cure P.F. 

Here's what I think.  I feel plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, OR some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."  (You may know that a pulled muscle is simply the tearing of a few muscle fibers.)  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacked it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion.  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I am doing.  First, I have the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Then I wear 2 pairs of nice athletic type sox.  Between the 2 sox, I have plantar fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  But also, I sewed  onto the the padded foot wraps, the back part of some thick arch cushions for a little more cushion.  So under my heels I have 5 cushion layers and after about a month, I'm 95% cured of P.F.  That's what I think, and I hope that this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.

6 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I posted something about a month ago. I am a retired radiologist and I have drawn some of the same conclusions. I agree with much of what you say but I do think there are a few things which may accelerate the healing. Heat to increase circulation either with a hot tub, whirlpool, heating pad or maybe even just soaking the foot in a pan of hot water seems to help me when I aggravate my inflammation. I do like the HTP heel pad / arch supports with the fascia bar. This definitely helps me. 

Since it is almost impossible to rest your foot and plantar fascia, learn to tape your foot with the Low Dye Taping which you can find on the internet on youtube. I got plantar fasciitis from playing golf ( the golf swing puts a lot of strain on the lateral side of the plantar fascia ). If I tape my foot, I play pain free and have no after effects. If I don't tape, I have pain during and after. The taping off-loads the stress onto the tape allowing the plantar fascia to rest. I was able to achieve  a 95% cure in about 4 weeks.  

I agree that the cushioning is critically important.

• Posted

John,  I think we agree (and I don't play golf.)  I think heat makes sense and might speed up the healing . . .   and heat usually feels good.  The HTP heel pads give a similar effect to my  plantar fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports onto which I sewed extra support pads.  I knew nothing about the Low Dye Taping.  I just saw it on the internet and to me it looked just like some more cushion.  I don't get the advantage of all that taping -- (and how in the world do you take a shower or bath?)  My PF is still improving nicely.  I've reduced my cushion to just the wrap padded supports and the "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes.  I cover the wrap padded supports with one pair of sox.  Good luck to you.  Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Hi, if I use the Leuko tape, showering is not a problem - it is water resistant and dries in little time. If I use the Zonas tape, I put my foot in a small plastic bag and tape it closed for the shower and wash my foot by hand after the shower. I basically learned this from a previous injury.

I made some similar homemade cushions using some stripping that you use to seal windows and doors and applying the sticky side to the botom of my arch supports and inner soles to create a fascia bar.

Amazing how necessity creates invention. The taping is great but I did not mention that I use a spray on the skin before taping to hold it in place for a couple of days.

I am past that now but sometimes use the compression socks for golf and long walks. I am 99% cured with all of this. Still a little tender after golf.

I hope some of this helps.

• Posted

I am quite delighted to have found this thread.  I am going to begin the cushioning ideas from 'Doknabox' ASAP.  One other question -- I went to a podiatrist finally after suffering for years with toe bunions--no heel issues at all, until last week.  The doctor was a huge disappointment, and I will not return.  The nurse taught me the 'low dye taping' but now I am wondering if I am wearing excellent arch supports, if I have to do the taping too??  My heel issue was very odd that it happened just last week.  It felt as if a grape had popped on the outer edge of my heel, on the inside.  I mentioned this to the dr. and he said I was just walking on it incorrectly, and totally brushed me off.  It is not constantly painful but it is a bothersome feeling.  So, I am going to be cushioning, cushioning, and cushioning!!  I guess this means I will have to wear shoes around the house.  I usually go barefooted.  I am an avid motorcyclist and my boots cause me terrible pain on my 'bunions' after wearing them for a very short time.  I am going to apply these wonderful ideas and I do believe that between 'dok' and 'john30536' -- we have much better remedies than shots, prescription meds and surgery. 

• Posted

Wow, thank you so much for your thoughts! I am so glad to hear that you got the results that you were looking for. I will definitely try this although I hope that it is not too late for me. My feet feel much more damaged than when I first started out. It makes sense too. When I first got PF my natural instinct was to cushion the bottom of my feet. I actually took the foam matress pad that sat on top of my bed and cut out shapes that matched my feet and wore them inside of my socks when I first got this. I didn't stick with it super long though because it seemed so silly. I think that you are on to something though!
  • Posted

Great info

would something like the ossur rebound air walker benefit us?

Thank you for your opinion 

• Posted

I just googled "ossur rebound air walker" and here's my thinking: if it's full of good cushion, YES.  If it's not full of cushion, I'd chuck it.  Of course, you could add extra cushion.  But it really doesn't look that beneficial over a good roomy pair of shoes with good cushion.  I wore Keens and Crocs for the 4 months I had PF.  But if you already have one and want to use it, make sure there's lots of cushion in it and it's not too tight on your foot.

• Posted

Hi Dok,

I have just been diagnosed so I will follow your advice and fingers crossed it can get rid of this. 

Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Thank you! I've had this off and on for 6 years. I just went to an orthopedic surgeon after not getting help from the podiatrist I first saw 6 months ago.

The horrible boot splint that they wanted me to wear at night was absolutely ridiculous !!! So I try to wear it that short intervals during the day again ridiculous!

The splint made the front pad of my foot so Numb it hurt !!! So I threw the damn foot splint away

But....... The podiatrist said I had heel spurs the orthopedic surgeon said I did not!!!!!

it was just planter fasciitis. But again got a shot of Cortizone in both heels which again numbed my feet up for almost 12 hours a little bit of relief and I got basic stretching exercises and a shoe inserts.

HOWEVER. Glad to hear you got some relief with all the cushioning I am going to that next this planter fasciitis sucks big-time !

Anybody had surgery that got relief??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.