Plantar fasciitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all. I’m really need some help with my feet. I’ve had plantar fasciitis and a Morton’s neuroma for over 2 years. The podiatrist has given me a few pairs of arch support insoles and stretching exercises to do. But the pain is now soo bad it’s really affecting my life.  The down side is I’m a hairdresser and on my feet all day too. I do my stretching and massaging but it’s not helping. Any suggestions would be great. I even got desperate and phoned the hospital for crutches but they said no... 😐

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Julia, I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

Julia, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. That’s great advice but unfortunately I also have Morton’s neuroma on my left foot. So I can’t wear thick socks as they squash my feet in my footwear. And that also is extremely painful. I have a podiatry appt on Wednesday for the Morton’s neuroma.  Thank you will your suggestion xxx
    • Posted

Best of luck to you. If you are sold an insole, make sure it is WELL CUSHIONED!
    • Posted

Hi Jerry

Is there any chance you could post some links to examples of what you have worn? I'm looking on amazon but don't know what the heel inserts look like/wraps etc.

I've had PF for almost a year and is getting worse. I had it in both but the right is now excruciating, the left not as painful. I had Sketchers memory foam which helped but memory foam shoes absolutely stink after a while, and the material covering the insoles wore away. I've gone through 2 pairs. What kind of shoes are you wearing that are able to hold all that support? Did you have all 3 methods at once? Insoles, wraps and socks at the same time?

Thank you in advance

Fran

• Posted

Fran,  I don't think links are allowed on this forum.  The thing I wore for the four months was the "Shock-Absorbing Plantar Fasciitis Therapy Wraps with Gel."  I sewed onto these "wraps" additional padding just under the heel.  For insoles I bought something like the "Sof Sole Plantar Fascia Gel Shoe Insole for Heel Spurs and Plantar Fasciitis."  (Google them.) And yes I wore wrap, insoles and heavy socks together.  I usually wear Keen shoes or Crocs which give me plenty of room.  Took about 4 months for complete cure.

• Posted

Hi Julia,

im just awaiting my first podiatry appointment to confirm plantar fasciitis, the lady at the shoe store told me that the skechers go walks i had been wearing for the last 2 years had escalated the problem as they offer no support. Im at the point now where my right heel wont even stretch anymore and im ambling down the stair one at a time like an old wifey (im 35) after changing foot wear, pain gel, and heel cushions i decided to fork out form some good old dr martens, and i will say, i can walk in those all day and not have half the pain as before. I chose the industrial rosa boot as they are roomy and stylish and they dont need broken in at all. I really hope this helps and that you can get some peace form the pain.

• Posted

Hi Emma. I’ve been to see the podiatrist surgeon last week. For 2 years I’ve been treated for plantar fasciitis, but the surgeon reckons I have a trapped nerve in my right heel and something wrong in my left foot. I’m now waiting for a ultra sound on both feet... 

Glad your boots are working for you. I know what you mean by hobbling about. I look like an old lady 👵..  let me know how you get on xxxx

• Posted

Appointments this friday so will let you know, im so fed up of this pain, im just sitting here with no weight on my feet and still getting random dull pains throughout my feet. id give their footwear a go, just order online and walk about the house with them for an hour, if they dont help, just send them back, i felt a difference instantly in the level of support. Let us know how you get on with the ultrasound x

• Posted

For your mortons, try googling reflexology for mortons neuroma, if its a trapped nerve, a programme of manipulation of the area over a few weeks should help
    • Posted

Good luck for today Emma.  Really hope they sort you out. 

They’re not sure if it’s a Morton’s neuroma or not. I’ve had it over 20 years I thought I had cramp in my toes. 

Let me know how you get on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.