Plantar fasciitis a new treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had this  Plantar Fasciitisl in both my feet and oetrio arthritus for the past couple of years...The doctors have tried the steriod injections, and various other things to help with the pain etc...But nothing has worked instead the injections have caused my migraines to come even worse.  Ive been to see an ortho surgeon who has agreed to try another treatment on me..its called a PRP which is Platelets rich plasma..Ive been looking into this treatment, and this is what i have found...  PRP is produced from a person's own blood. It is a concentration of one type of cell, known as platelets, which circulate through the blood and are critical for blood clotting. Platelets and the liquid plasma portion of the blood contain many factors that are essential for the cell recruitment, multiplication and specialization that are required for healing. 

After a blood sample is obtained from a patient, the blood is put into a centrifuge, which is a tool that separates the blood into its many components. Platelet rich plasma can then be collected and treated before it is delivered to an injured area of bone or soft tissue, such as a tendon or ligament.

PRP is given to patients through an injection, and ultrasound guidance can assist in the precise placement of PRP. After the injection, a patient must avoid exercise for a short period of time before beginning a rehabilitation exercise prog

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ruth, I do hope you tell us how you get on with PRP.  I've never personally heard of this treatment but if it's successful it would be a wonderful thing for a great many of us.

Good luck!

• Posted

Im due to go back to see the consultant in March with a descion...so i will let you know...
  • Posted

I tried this PRP treatment about 3 years ago.

Really, really painful (probably as there is abnormal fluid quantity in a small space).

For me - a waste of time.

I believe Tiger woods had it done successfully to his knee a couple of years ago.

I have to state there is now a doubt as to whether I ever had PF or whether it is a tendon and nerve issue but anyway PRP was useless for me (only did one foot so as to be able to compare with other, also injured foot)

• Posted

Ruth,

I had this procedure 2 years ago after steroid injections and excercises had no effect whatsoever. In fact, excercising only made the problem worse. My main problem was that the doctors could not manage to get a blood sample from me, it took several attempts by several people, I was like a pin cushion. The blood was put in the centrifuge then injected into the most painful part of my heel. Yes, it was quite painful but nothing compared to the two years of agony I went though with the PF. After the injection, I had to wear a boot and be non weight bearing on crutches for 2 weeks. Initially, there was no improvement, but, after being given more shoe inserts, the pain gradually went away. I have now been pain free for just over a year, I still wear the inserts and never wear inappropriate footwear, I don' want that pain ever again. You have my utmost sympathy, this condition ruined my life, I even had to leave my job with the Police as I could no longer manage to do the self defence necessary.

• Posted

Oh my goodness..you guys are changing my mind, ive just had an operation on my hand, im in agony with that...to go through more added pain..i think i will think this procedure through abit more...thanks for getting back to me...the way the doctor spoke he made this treatment was a fairly new one..
  • Posted

as it is you're own blood that is being injected back into you - the worst might be an infection or the pain I had for a few weeks.

The idea is to CAUSE injury (with the needle) and to provide the necessary factors (with your own blood) to start the healing process.

It may be that the body has not managed to switch on the healing mechanism and due to poor blood flow does not have the biological factors necessary to initiate teh healing process. Both of these issues are rectified with this procedure. If it works!

• Posted

Did those who had this treatment get it in the UK? I read about it three years ago being trialed in America.
    • Posted

Derek,

Yes, I had it done at North Tyneside General Hospital near Newcastle upon Tyne. This was in 2013. I had to push to get this done as nothing else had worked. I think they are now trialing it elsewhere although it seems there is no positive proof it works. But .... it worked for me. After all those years of agony I have got my life back.Good luck.

Glynis

• Posted

Thank you. It's great when something new works.

I'll check if it is being done in S.E. England. 

• Posted

Hello

Not been in the group for a while, ive now got PTTD in my right foot, and im now waiting to see a surgeon, as no treatments are working....im now wandering if i was born with this in my foot....as they say my tendons arent working properly...and that is why im getting the shooting pains up my legs....They didnt do the PRP, as they thought it wouldnt work (like most treatments that ive had done)....still in alot of pain....trying to be patient...but its not easy...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.