Plantar fasciitis after broken fibular wtih bad sprain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm almost 7 weeks from being diagnosed with a broken fibula, no surgery. I also had a pretty bad lateral sprain. I've been in a walking boot with no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Started some walking 5 days ago, and have very bad planter fasciitis. I'm doing all the recommended things but it's not getting much better. I'm supposed to only walk in the boot. I'm wondering if using a good ankle brace with shoes and maybe inserts for PF will be better than this boot. Is there anyone that has had this experience. I almost feel like the boot isn't friendly for arch support and might be exacerbating the problem. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I was in a very similar situation straight break through the fibula no surgery needed. Never had plantar fasciitis before but developed it. It was awful. Still can’t walk barefoot very well and I’ve been without my cast for just over a month. I bought on Amazon slippers for plantar fasciitis to walk around the house. I wear sneakers with insert for a high arch when I’m on my feet a lot and I also bought slip on black shoes specifically for plantar fasciitis on Amazon. It will get better. Now mine is on the top of my foot for the extensor tendon‘s. ice ice and more ice. I have to be better about doing my stretching.

• Edited

Tracy you have to go try on "slipon "memory foam sketchers. Find the one that you feel the arch support in your arch. I got mine in Kohls and it was like a miracle. The sneaker has no model name on it . I tried on a kajillion pairs of shoes and sneaks and that style was the only one with great support.

• Posted

Only the ortho can tell you if you can get out of the boot and do something else.I had that too and tried a kajillion different sneakers and shoes. I would even buy a pair like Clarks , go shopping and while shopping buy another pair to wear and take the clarks off. Finally I came across a pair of sketchers memory foam" slip on " sneakers that I can actually feel the arch support of the shoe in my arch. In a matter of days the pain went away. I wish I had the model number but it doesn"t say it on the sneaker. I can wear normal shoes now but I'm not on my feet as long as I used to be but when I know I'm going to be on my feet a long time I put on the sketchers. Thye really have to help because I'm not a sneaker person.I've always hated wearing them.

• Edited

Thanks for replies. It helps to know you're not alone slogging through this long recovery. I also have high arches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.