Plantar fasciitis caused by osteoarthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis which in addition to heel and foot pain I also have tendinitis around my ankle and in my Achilles. After 7 months of pain, using ice, antiinflammatories, heel pads, weekly physio and doing calf stretches etc daily, I’m now experiencing a return of heel pain when getting out of bed despite this having stopped about 2 months ago.  I’m told my condition is due to osteoarthritis in my foot (which causes no pain at all at its location).  I’m a fit person who normally does Pilates, yoga and hill walking, but am now only able to walk about a mile  so I’m finding this really hard to adjust to.  If I do any more the pain and inflammation increases and I’m told by my physio its a sign I have  done too much at this stage of my healing. What are other people’s experiences of healing when they have  been told they have osteoarthritis in the foot?  Does it ever heal?  Is there anything more I could do?    

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sue, sorry you are suffering.  Let me tell you my experience with PF. I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

?So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

Sue, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Many thanks for your information. I have been using a heel insert with arch support in new trainers with gel heel support.  I can’t use thick socks as well as this because I can’t get my foot in the trainer!  (I did try). I have been making slow progress so far so for the heel pain to return, it’s a real worry it’s all going to flare up again. I will have a look for gel heel inserts (I’m in the UK)  to give them a try and persevere with my exercises and ice. 
  • Posted

Hi Sue and Jerry. Just found this forum. Have read some threads. I have had PF for 3 months. It appears that physiotherapist and podiatrists don't work for less curable cases. I bought shoe insert with arch support (specified for PF on packet) over counter. Now walk mostly without pain. But can never go barefoot. I'm interested in your "no impact" theory Jerry. I'm going to get gel heel pads or a new full shoe insert with gel heel pad today. I'll let you know. But if its impact why does my heel mostly hurt after waking, sitting and resting. That is when has not been impacting? I don't understand. 

• Posted

Hi Coogeematt,

ive had plantar fascia for 7 months and have had physio. He explained that with plantar fasciitis the  plantar fascia contracts when you rest, ie when asleep or resting during the day, so when you step on your foot after rest it’s this that causes the pain. The pain goes away because as you walk it stretches to its normal position, but contracts again when you rest until it heals.  If you can grab your foot whilst still in bed and gently cup your toes in your hand and draw them upwards release then repeat a few times, this might help reduce the pain when stepping out of bed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.