Plantar Fasciitis for Metatarsalgia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my feet and don't know which way to turn...(can't edit the title.. should be 'or' not for..)

I developed Plantar Fasciitis about 5 years ago in my left foot, the heel being very painful to stand on. I did stretching exercises etc and it made no difference. About a year later the same thing started in my right foot. By this time the left foot pain was receding but about 6 months later I started getting pain in the balls of my feet, burning pain, numbness and tingling. 2 and a half years ago I had an MRI on my feet for suspected Morton's Neuroma but nothing showed. I was subsequently sent for nerve conduction studies which came back inconclusive for suspected polyneuropathy. I have back problems and was sent for MRI which revealed herniated disc at L5 S1 and facet joint problems (for which I've had steroid injection 5 years previously) and told the nerve problems here have nothing to do with my feet problem. I have since been for an ultrasound on my feet only to be told that I still have plantar Fasciitis that is causing a problem on the balls of my feet. Without speaking to a doctor, I have now been offered steroid injections for this which I have accepted because I don't know any better. I have read extensive research on 'Metatarsalgia' and have found out it can be caused by any number of conditions. The big toe on my right foot is drifting to the right with what looks like a bunion and was very red and swollen and extremely painful to the touch a few months ago but has since subsided and at the same time a joint in my right hand went the same way. I have been advised by the spine consultant that this was a flare up but I have never tested positive for inflammatory markers in the past despite chronic joint pain for the last 15 years.

My question is do I just have chronic Plantar Fasciitis or is there something else that is 'probably' causing this?

If it is 'just' Plantar Fasciitis (balls of the feet), can anyone offer some advice as to how to deal with the daily pain from standing all day? I do manual work, can't have regular breaks and ideally need something to cushion my feet properly. Looking online for insoles is a nightmare and I've bought several now that don't help... any suggestions most welcome please 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Poddy,

I notice your post is 3 months old and wonder if you have had any replies regarding plantar fasciitis?

I have recently developed a pain the ball of my right foot, behind the second and third toes. I attended a physiotherapist and was told this was plantar fasciitis, but I don't think the physio was much good as she didn't really take the time to examine my foot. So I'm going to another one this week.

I'd be interested to hear any other person's experience of this condition, what has caused it and what treatment they find helpful in relieving it. Thank you.

All the best,

Grimm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.