Plantar fasciitis I had this for one year, do all exercises as advertised wear suitable footwear, h

Posted , 8 users are following.

Best advice for plantar Fasciitis welcome I've had it for over a year , doing all appropriate exercises and wear recently made insoles by podiatrist. Still no improvement, should  I go for a steroid injection?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you wearing the thick gel heel pads that I found cured my PF, easily found on line for a couple of quid and more effective than all the insoles I tried costing much more.

Perhaps its not PF you have just feels like PF. It could be due to injury rather than just tight calf muscles which the exercises stretch, do your calves hurt when you curl your toes up or is the pain just in the heel and sole of the foot. I suggest you see your doctor and get a scan of the foot before having surgery or injections. I have injections in my Knee and they are very effective but that is a joint where the pf is a ligament and injections are not so effective for ligament pain. I also have tennis or golfers elbow and find anti inflammatory creams are good for that as it is very near the surface so they my help with pf pain.

• Posted

Rosie, I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

Rosie, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Hi Jerry,

I have just been reading your reply to Rosie. 

I have one question as I have  PF. 

I have already purchased various items and aids for my PF However when I use them they seem to make my PF pain worse is this because it's trying correct my arch or should I purchase other aids that give a softer cushion. Kind regards

• Posted

I tried various devices. Slept with my toes extended up. Rolled my foot over a steel rod. Wore those pads under my arch (seemed to help a little). But what helped the most was cushion 24 hours a day (except when sleeping).
  • Posted

Hi

I currently have PF myself. Drs have told me after 3 months there is no point in having a cortisone shot bc the inflammation is gone. My cortisone injection did little for my pain anyway. It also weakens ur fascia.

Plantar fascitis turns into plantar fasciosis.. which is tissue damage . I believe with adhesions. That's why they want you to do the roller or massage.

You have one of 4 choices as do I:

1. Get custom orthotics or heel pads and hope the fascia heals. Mine are in!

2. Get shockwave therapy to reinjure the tissue and hope the body reheals the tissue correctly with fresh blood.

3. Do PRP injection.  Inject healing cells  of your own blood into your foot .

4. Fascial release surgery.

I'm am at 31/2 months with some resolve. So I'm am staying with orthotics and stretching then onto PRP at around 6 months if it persists. Cost is from $400-1000.

Good luck whatever you chose!

• Posted

Soft ?gel orthotics - GOOD.

Hard orthotics - BAD- you're wasting your time and your money.

• Posted

I apologize if you’ve already read this long post, it’s somewhere else on this site, but I know how painful and frustrating plantar fasciitis can be and hopefully it will help someone.  For 15 months, I suffered with what was diagnosed by 2 podiatrists and 2 orthopedic surgeons as PF.  I had 4 cortisone shots over the 15 months which gave a month of relief each time, PT, X-rays, custom orthotics, MRI, shock wave therapy, and purchased every gadget Amazon sold (socks, splints, cream, pills, etc).  Finally, I was at my wits end and decided to ask about PF release surgery which 1 of the 4 doctors recommended.  I called his office, he was on vacation for 2 weeks, so I went to his partner which I originally saw 15 months prior. Once I explained what transpired in the last 15 months since I saw him, showed the MRI report (which indicated thickness in the fascia) he was convinced it wasn’t PF but a fibroma tumor on my fascia.  Although 15 months prior he thought it was PF, and understood why other doctors diagnosed the same, after 15 months, he knew it had to be something else—the MRI (that showed a thick fascia) was the clue.  Ninety percent of PF can be resolved with conventional treatment over time, 10% require surgery.  Well, of the 10% of patients that require surgery, 25% have a tumor on their fascia.  There was no way this was every going to go away on its own.  Four weeks ago, I had the tumor surgically removed (partial fasciectomy--a horizontal incision across the bottom of the foot, near the arch) and a chunk of the fascia was taken out with the benign tumor. I was in a weight bearing foot cast for 2 weeks, back to work after 3 weeks (desk job).  I still have surgical pain, and I’m told it will take a couple of months for that to go away (no worse than the pain before the surgery).  Today I start PT which hopefully will help a bit quicker with healing.  So, I just want you to know this uncommon condition is out there and you might want to bring it up to your doctor if you’ve been suffering for more than a year.  I would also suggest getting a 2nd , 3rd  or even 4th opinion if you’ve been dealing with PF for over a year.  Keep asking questions, keep researching, continue to be persistent.  Luckily, the podiatrist I went to was very familiar with fibromas, seeing hundreds of these in his 30+ year career.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi 

have you tried bathing your feet in Epsom salts, it has certainly helped me out.  The magnesium in the Epsom reduces the inflammation.  I also rub Ibroprofen gel into my feet and that helps as well.

• Posted

Hi no I haven't but I will definitely be trying it now. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.