Plantar Fasciitis in both feet....should i have steroid injections?

Posted , 31 users are following.

I've had PF in one foot for best part of a year, now in both feet for the last 4 weeks. Im in excruciating pain as I'm sure most people who suffer from PF can relate to. Painkillers I have been prescribed up till now are useless but my GP is giving me stronger ones for when I go on holiday in 2 weeks so I can walk around hopefully. He has told me that when I return from hols, I will be having steroid injections. I'm interested to know what other sufferers think regarding this and also if it has helped the people who have had the injection.

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ok guys....so I got my first steroid injection on Thursday. I have been in pure agony ever since. I can't walk, can't put my foot down, can't go up or down stairs etc...I've never known pain like it. 

I've just had to get a doctor to prescribe me some very strong painkillers as I'm practically in tears.

What I want to know is if this is normal. What are other peoples experiences with getting the steroid injection.

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are in such pain. I wish I had seen your post asking about injections earlier....I won't get them myself bc out of all the feedback that I have read everywhere maybe 10% got some relief from injections and 90% hurt more or no change. But even without them I am in the kind of pain you have 24/7. Almost bedridden.  I can't find a shoe for that foot anymore....nothing fits due to swelling and there is a place the size of a Silver Dollar in the center my heel...looks almost like a blister under the skin but the pain comes from somewhere deep right there.  Feels like I'm walking on rocks. And mine isn't worse in the morning like PF is supposed to do...mine gets worse thru the day, the more I am on it so I have to get off of it as much as possible...it's my only relief. I had to buy a shower chair bc i can no longer stand in the shower. Also a mobile scooter to get around in public. Its changed my life totally.  I pray to God for healing bc this isn't fair and it's no way to live. 
    • Posted

I'm so sorry you are in such pain Ladyjack51, I myself, feel pretty much the same as you do....I am in constant pain in both my feet now and I've often considered a mobility scooter. Today, I'm using crutches...I walked to the doctors surgery to be told that its quite normal to be in pain after the injection but to come back tomorrow if its no better. I was so frustrated, I was in tears. I just want this pain to stop. Its really getting me down and I worry that I'm going to be like this forever. Your description of feeling like your walking on rocks is spot on...that's exactly how I feel..and when I'm not on my feet, I get the feeling like I'm being stabbed in the soles of my feet....only people who are suffering from PF understand what you're going through so thank you for replying and sharing xx
    • Posted

Bless your heart...I know you are sick of it. Almost a year for me now so I know. And depression will set in too. Might want to tell your Dr that you are getting really depressed so he can subscribe something or see a mental behaviorlist who can subscribe something. The not knowing when this will end will really get to you....and then why you,  is another question I pray about all the time. I'm too young for this and I'm being robbed of quality time with my grand kids...that really gets to me. And then...I don't want to be a burden on people is another big one. Don't wait till you feel desperate.  Tell someone now so you can get stabilized bc the tears will keep coming...but you have to be able to pull yourself out of it so you can keep going. I have no answers and i am hurting, angry, confused, and wiped out at times. It helps sometimes to talk on here...but sometimes that's even more depressing bc there isn't much good news on here. Pray my dear
    • Posted

Yes, I'm already taking anti depressants as I have been severely depressed and had panic/anxiety and agoraphobia since I lost my Dad in 2012...and you're right, being this helpless isn't helping my mental state at all. I have a 13 yr old son and he's been an absolute god send but I'm angry that I can't do more things with him. I feel old before my time. I walk past the mirror and see myself bent over and hobbling like an 80 yr old. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on here. You have been such a help today. xxx

• Posted

Lolol..well if "misery loves company" can be helpful then I'm glad but it usually isn't such a great thing. However, it does help to vent and talk to others who know you aren't exaggerating your pain. I wish we could help to heal each other...then I would really be thankful. Maybe we will huh? We will keep each other informed and hopefully we can find ways to ease the pain. My Dr won't give pain meds!!! I think I should own stock in a the Makers of Advil bc that's what I take all the time...it doesn't take the pain but it does seem to round the pointed corners sometimes...just barely takes the edge off. We will talk more my friend.....
    • Posted

Hey...I wanted to tell you...I raise my 12 year old grandson so I know exactly what you mean!! He helps me with so much but I feel so bad to have to have him do that. I have smaller grandkids too but I have raised him since he was born so he lives with me. So sorry about your father. He is with you in spirit every day....I do believe that. I hobble bent over too on my cane. Then I use the scooter if I can drive to the store. It fits in the car and have to have my grandson break it down into 4 pieces and then into the trunk. Anyway...just wanted to share that with you....
    • Posted

Oh god I go on Friday for my first I'm dreading it what did they say to expect when you had it done and can you contact who you had it done to tell them could be a reaction
    • Posted

Getting the needle wasn't as bad as I expected but the excruciating pain I have been in since the injection kind of puts me off getting my other foot done in 2 weeks. I've honestly never known pain like it. Thankfully I was able to ring the out of hours surgery on Saturday and get some fantastic painkillers. Since then, I have been to see the doc and have been given more pain relief. Apparently this pain can be expected for up to 2 weeks. I'm in 2 minds whether to go through with any more injections. 

Don't let my experiences put you off...you may find it works a whole lot better for you. 

Good luck x

• Posted

Oh you poor thing how long have you been off work after having it done
    • Posted

I would say its going to affect everyone differently, but in my experience...prepare to be off work for 2 weeks at least. You may be lucky and the injection will work right away but I think I was one of the unlucky ones haha!!
    • Posted

Oh Ok my employers are going to be made up they think it's just like having a injection in the shoulder after 2 days you can do everything again. .??
    • Posted

Ahhh but this is feet we're dealing with...we have to walk on them and they take all of our weight everytime we are on them so i guess this would be a lot more painful than a steroid injection in the shoulder.
    • Posted

I know exactly what I said. .Some people have no idea
    • Posted

Hi Just wondering what the fantastic painkillers were you had for plantar fasciitis? I am suffering now with both feet and nothing really is working, tried naproxen and strong cocodamol so far. Thanks Heather
    • Posted

Have you tried Volterol 12 hr cream morning and evening?  Also you must do exercises to stretch your calf muscles almost continuously.........well at least 10 times per day if not more!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.