Plantar Fasciitis operation done.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. This is hopefully to help anyone considering a PF release surgery. Some background... I'm 38 years of age. About 13 years ago I got PF really bad in both heels. This lasted nearly a year and seemed to disappear overnight. I was younger and just kept playing sports through the pain so maybe that was something to do with it. 6 years ago I got my cruciate knee done. About 3 and a half years ago the PF returned. Firstly in my left foot and soon afterwards the right. I work in a pub so it has to be due to the long hours standing. I tried everything you can think of over this time. Spent thousands on different products and treatments like Night splints , various insoles, night socks, big money on different runners, did the stretches , iced water bottle roll, changed my mattress thinking the shape did not help, creams, tablets. Then to the treatments. Three steroid injections, electro shock wave therapy, trigger point massage sessions, kniesology, herbal liquids, even tried marijuana ,which I've never done but I was at such a low ebb I'd try anything. Went to see a healer, joined a gym just for weight training ( which I hate doing) on my calf to strengthen it and much more. Nothing has worked. During this time I was seeing the hospital and they put me on a waiting list for the calf and heel release. I am 4 weeks after my operation and so far things are going great. I'm just annoyed I did not get it sooner. The money I spent on foolish items could have paid to get it done privately. Over three years I've let this ruin my life. The depression from PF is probably the worst. Not being able to play sports or with the kids or even earn money without pain gets to you after time. Now I know its early days but its promising at the minute. I get the other foot done in 3 months time. Mostly the advice I would give anyone is that if you have it over a year and some treatments are not working then consider the operation. Don't waste any more years thinking it will just go. I've read a huge amount on PF from experts all over the world and the main thing I get out of it is that their is no definitive cure. 30+ things that might get rid of it. It is such an elusive cure that if u can solve it your a billionaire ha. Hopefully this helps someone.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That's really so helpful paul, I've had it for 3 months & really getting me down as I was so active before. Mine might be linked to my inflammatory arthritis so just waiting to see how goes. Hope you continue to improve and thanks so much for posting this.

• Posted

Hi Paul

Sounds like were twins. Lol,but I could even add to  that list. Plus the many thousands the government health care put in. But just wondering how long do you have to be off your feet after surgery. And how painful not that it stop me from having the surgery. And what do you call the surgery exactly. And your so true on the depression. I have bad shoulders that can’t be helped but just learn to live with it.  Would love walk and play with my grandkids. Look forward to your response. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hey Rod. Its PF release on the heel and gastro release on the calf. They basically cut it a little to make it stretch more. Have had cast on for four weeks. To be honest their was little pain once I took pain killers. With the cast on I did not even know where the stitches where till they took it off. So its off since yesterday and their is surgical pain. I have a boot on for next few days and then hopefully I can try my runners. I work in a pub so i m not sure when I can go back to work but hopeful in two weeks time. Cheers
    • Posted

Thanks. I’m going to stay in touch with you and see how it goes. Because I’ve heard some negative stuff about surgery. But would love to be on my feet. After 4 years wit being able very little to be on them. And almost lived on them for 54 years before tyhat.  

Where do you live. I’m in Alberta Canada. I know surgery’s can be a little different. Thanks So Much for your feed back. 

• Posted

Hey Rod. I'm from Dublin Ireland. Try staying off the internet when looking up the operation. I stupidly went on it the night before my operation and it scared the life out of me. So much so i honesty was a hair from getting of the bed minutes before my op in the hospital. My surgeon said its worked on everyone he has done to date. I actually don't know which procedure he did on me. Ireland's medical department is extremely of poor grade which is why I was on a waiting list for so long. Hindsight I should have borrowed the money and went private. I believe getting it done endoscopic is the best as recovery time is quicker. I initially thought they were only doing my heel but they did the calf (gastro) also. Doing both meant I was in the cast for a month but I think if they only do the heel their is no cast. But my surgeon said their was no point in only doing the heel ( and that not working) only to go back under to do the calf. I just had the mindset that " well I'm sore now so I might as well try" worst case I'll still be sore. Best case I get my life back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.