Plantar Fasciopathy diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Although I believed I had plantar fasciitis, I was diagnosed by a podiatrist as having plantar fasciopathy. I actually don't really care what it is called, but I would really like to find a remedy as this has been an issue for the past 18 months. I recall the first time I noticed it - in both feet - just after a day with all of the family here and I was on the go all day and just felt my feet were really aching at the end of it. I had recently started running on the treadmill at the gym which wasn't normally part of my normal workout but that may or may not be coincidental. I tried all of the recommended exercises, doing this diligently for several weeks and then I decided to try shockwave therapy as the exercises were not having much effect. My husband had recently had a course of this for a similar problem, although more to do with his achilles tendon and was really successful. Again, even after several treatments, no real improvement. I had tried all of the various insoles, shaped ones, soft ones, gel ones and then I visited a podiatrist who supplied me with custom made orthotics, after a couple of uncomfortable manipulations. The right foot is much improved but I still have a fairly severe issue with the left one. I have bought a night splint, watched YouTube and embarked on taping; tried a compression sock; even resorting to extreme stretching following 'miracle YouTube cures'. It's a difficult time with lockdown but the podiatrist very kindly put an additional soft layer over the orthotics and posted them back to me, and whilst the right one is really comfortable, the arch piece in the left one just aggravates the discomfort at the edge of my heel even worse. I have now bought a foot massager and trying this, along with the exercises still on a daily basis. I have also extensively used ice and long since given up on anti inflammatories which only serve to give me an upset stomach.I have an ultrasound appointment arranged via the GP to determine if this really is a plantar issue and weirdly, if I stretch my calf muscle before I even get up in the morning and roll my foot on a spiked ball, it isn't too bad, but as the day wears on, the pain increases. Walking is definitely a no go which is a shame as we have recently adopted a rescue dog and I was really looking forward to some nice summer walks. I tried again a couple of days ago and didn't get further than a few doors away and had to turn back. It seems to be worse now that I am not going to the gym 3 - 4 times a week. I was only doing spin classes and low impact but maybe that was of benefit, although I am cycling a few times a week currently. I guess what I really would like to know, is are the steroid injections of any use? I have had these in the past for shoulder issues and whilst I had temporary relief, for the most part, I did not find them of much use. I know the GP is suggesting that this might be the next step but I am pretty nervous of making things worse. I have probably read virtually every forum on this issue and the advice is very conflicting so not very helpful overall. I would really appreciate any input from someone who gets where i am coming from. TIA.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Before any injections or anything please read and try what has helped me manage my plantar fasciitis.

I've been there. I play a lot of pickleball and had a dreadful case of plantar fasciitis for about a year. Here is how I have been able to manage it so that it is no longer an issue. I say manage it because I have to do this after every time I play pickleball.

I take 1/4 of a 10mg cyclobenzaprine right after pickleball or any exercise, and then another 1/4 in about 3-4 hours and then another in 3-4 hours. I don't take it all at once as it can make me tired if I do that. Then I use a electric massager on my lower leg, below the knee, multiple times later in the day. I don't use it on my feet or anywhere else on my body - only on my lower leg. I use it on all of the muscles of my calves, the muscle in front by the shin. I try to hit all the tender places, no bones, but tender muscles.

I used to have pain every morning that was crippling and had pain throughout the day and couldn't really play or exercise to my fullest because of the plantar fasciitis. This is no longer an issue!!

For me this has been live changing!

To be clear. I take 2.5mg of cyclobenzaprine (generic flexeril) immediately after a workout and keep doing it every 3-4 hours.

Then, and this is the most important aspect, I use an electric massager on my calves and lower leg on and off every few hours for about 10 minutes each leg trying to work on spots that feel they need it. The more you massage your lower leg the better you will feel.

The plantar fasciitis is all about the lower leg muscles! Those muscles are what is causing the foot pain - remember that!!

Do this and you will definitely change your life! Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Hi Mike. Thank you for the advice. I googled cyclobenzaprine and it appears it isn't available in the UK. Not sure if it's something I could maybe obtain online. Interesting about the electric massager - I have one that sat in a cupboard for maybe twenty years and I get the concept. I have been going to a podiatrist, recently opened again after the lockdown and he concentrates on a really deep calf massage but I feel it is getting too expensive and it's pretty much what I can do myself. I have also been lent a roller type gadget that you can use to deep massage muscles so I have been using that also. I feel that it is improving (slowly) but of course as soon as I go for even a short walk it returns. I am also going to check out a new running shop locally to have my gait looked at and investigate some sports shoes recommended on here. I also purchased some high quality turmeric but after two week had to give up with this as it plays havoc with my digestion. I did wonder if it might not suit me as I am unable to take oral anti-inflammatory medication. Meanwhile I am stepping up with concentrating on the lower leg muscles. We are away in a couple of months time (flights permitting) and it would be great to be able to do even some short walks. In fact I would be really happy to be able to walk the dog comfortably on a regular basis. I was put on the waiting list at the doctor's surgery for an injection but I have told them I am not up for this. Virtually everyone on this forum has advised against. Thanks again .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.