Plantar Plate Repair with Osteotomy - Recovery

Posted , 22 users are following.

I'm three weeks out from plantar plate repair with 2nd toe osteotomy. I'm not taking any pain medication at this point, but I'm concerned because I still get throbbing pains in my second toe and pulling, tingling sensations in the area that was repaired. I'm in a walking boot - weight bearing on the heel - and sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's really uncomfortable. Has anyone here had a similar surgery? How long did it take until your foot started to feel better than it did before the surgery?

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good morning everyone, 

I've been following this discussion for the last few weeks as I was getting ready for my. Plantar tear surgery. I'm a week post surgery and my surgeon said I could bear weight on my heel for that week and this week I could do light weight on my foot. I also had platelet shots in my plantar fasciitis at the time of surgery so my heel has been tremendously painful, too.  I haven't been using my heel and I don't want to use my foot as it hurts so much still. My plate wasn't just town it was shredded and the worst he'd ever seen he said at my first post-op appt.  I'm on hydrocodone for the pain but cannot take anti-inflammatories due to the platelet shots.  Any advice or suggestions on trying to use my foot more? The middle is bound so tight still that it's hard to put it down. I have three kids and three dogs and I need to get better to competently care for all of them.  Help pleasesmile

• Posted

Hello! I have kids, too, both under 5. Taking care of other people (and pets!) post sugery is really tough. What helped me the most with mobility was a scooter. It was especially helpful in the house around the kitchen. I was able to cook dinner without putting any weight on my foot. After my surgery I was also told I could walk on my heel, but it HURT. The scooter saved me and was worth every penny. One week out from this surgery is very early days. At that point, I was spending most of my time on the couch with my foot elevated and icing. The icing and elevation really helped me with the pain. I only had hydrocodone, too, and it made me so sick to my stomach I had to stop taking it after day 4 or 5. Good luck with your healing.
    • Posted

I literally spent the first two weeks lying down with my foot elevated and only stood up to go to the toilet or to bed and was wearing my heel weight bearing shoe and using crutches.

I had my final 12 week appointment last Friday and expressed my concerns about the pain. The consultant said that my scar is pretty thick (thicker than average) and he thinks this would explain my pain.

He had advised lots of massaging of the scar and starting to challenge it with exercise. I have the green light to try badminton 😆 and am allowed to wear normal shoes/sandals.

I’m still not sure it’s worked but feel slightly better about things than I did 3 weeks ago!

• Posted

Hi I was wondering what the scar looks like after healing. I’m going to have the surgery in two weeks. 
    • Posted

My concern is that I am going on vacation in September. And if I will still have major pain 
    • Posted

Hi, I have been meaning to update this. In the past month or so things have definitely improved a bit and the pain has lessened. I have played badminton for the first time! 

I’m not pain free but I can now say the pain is better than pre surgery. I’m being careful but plan to play badminton again tonight and next week.

On the scar front mine is quite thick but it doesn’t bother me visually.

Unfortunately my toe is starting to develop into a hammer toe because of the thick scar. I was told before  surgery that this can happen to 1 in 10 after the op. It’s annoying and I’m concerned that this will lead to other problems in the long term like corns etc

So all in all at week 18 post op I would say that my recovery is taking longer than I expected but that I am seeing some improvement. 

If your holiday in September is an activity holiday then it may be too soon but general pain levels should be fine by then. If you scar like a normal person fingers crossed you could be fine. I think I’ve just been unlucky!

Good luck

• Posted

I do have hammer toes and they plan on fusing the joints so the two toes will be straight. Without chance of of curling again. I’m happy to hear you are doing much better. The doctor doesn’t say much about the issues that you and others seem to be having. I’m wondering if I should postpone the surgery. I’m going to Paris and I don’t want to miss anything. Ive been suffering with this for two years before a correct diagnosis. I’m a little apprehensive about this surgery. 
  • Posted

If I have this surgery middle of July, how long is it before you can walk again? Hoping to be back to work the end of sept. Thank you
  • Edited

hi i had my surgery four months ago i had a planter plate repair of the second toe and bone removed from the big toe i had the second toe straightened has it wad dislocated am still having pain walking in the same place i had my repair also pain where they removed bone on my big toe am really struggling some days to walk iv'e went back to using the crutch and my big toe is slanting towards the second toe now am really worried things seem worse am waiting on a podiatry appointment to come through i try and massage the scar most nights

• Posted

Hi! Was your plantar plate pain bad on ball of foot? How long before you could walk again? Please let me know what the podiatrist says. Thank you, so scared.

• Posted

yes i had a lot of pain for years before the operation and the second toe middle joint was partially dislocated am still having pain every day if am on my feet for more then a hour am limping some days on month five post op been told can take six months to a year i would have posted a picture but i bumped the toe yesterday as it sticks out a bit and its black and blue hurts really bad as soon as the pin came out six weeks you can weight bare very slowly

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. I am glad iI postponed my surgery. I went on vacation a few weeks ago. I was afraid i wouldnt be up for walking. how much pain were you in before the surgery? my doctor told me i would only be out of work for a week. But wear a boot for a few months

• Posted

My doctor told me out of work and completely off foot for 12 weeks. Was yours plantar plate?

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that. I am glad iI postponed my surgery. I went on vacation a few weeks ago. I was afraid i wouldnt be up for walking. how much pain were you in before the surgery? my doctor told me i would only be out of work for a week. But wear a boot for a few months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.