Plantar problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have just joined the group and wonder if anyone can offer up anything new for this horrible complaint.  I have had it for 3 years!!... in one foot and it doesn't seem to want to go away.  Am I right in thinking that once you get it it yours for life?  Exercises, of which I have done many, are useless.  Shock wave therapy, which I had four months ago, unfortunately does not seem to have worked.  I have a compression bandage which does help a bit. Injections I steer clear of  as they apparently 'make grown men cry'.  So what's left to do.  Any thoughts from you fellow sufferers would be much appreciated.  Funnily enough, mine gets worse as the day goes on rather than when I first get out of bed.  Also hurts when the foot is at rest.  Anyone else out there experience the same?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have had mine for 2 yrs.. Only relief I had was when a Poditrist gave me a cortisone shot right under my ankle on the inside of my foot. I had one Dr.  Give me one straight up my heel. I actually broke a tooth off ,it hurt so bad. Went to a orthopedic  surgeon. He said the only thing that was going to help is surgery. He would make a 2" incision on the back of my calf and cut the cord thar attaches to the Fashia. I might give it another yr. I just live on Advil.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you for your post Lynda.  I will not, not, not be having any cortisone injections as I believe they are more painful than the Spanish Inquisition.  However your Podiatrist one sounds a bit better.  I will keep that in mind and, like you, soldier on for the time being, although I've knocked exercises on the head as they are useless. I do wear Fitflops in the house and find these are the best things for cushioning the heal.  Had some cardboard inserts made from the NHS, but these are no good.  Thanks again for your input.
  • Posted

Hi please do not take too much notice about the horror stories about the injections,,,, I do not like injections and have had 2, they are not as bad as some people say, we are all different, all have different pain thresholds, mine is not high and I would have one every month if they had worked for me.......It depends on the size it is more comfortable the finer the needle, and they do put in a local too so if you havent tried one, go for it, it may help you, you wont know unless you try.....good luck  
    • Posted

Thank you for this comment Kim.  Have the injections worked for you, and if they have, how long have they lasted? Would be interested to know.
  • Posted

I have tried....exercise, sole inserts, steroid injections, taping, plaster cast....and now having surgery on Tuesday,,,,the first injection worked it was like a miracle cure but only lasted about a month, the 2nd not even a week, but then the fascia ruptured so no more injections (rupture is a side effect of steroids) sad  I think like most of us we try this and that,,,,all trial and error, some work, some dont sadly.... its a very painful condition which appears to be stubborn to cure sadly...good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Soxy.  Have I got a deal for you!  Well, not really a deal, as I'm not selling anything, but I have found something that works almost immediately and seems to alleviate it just about completely within a week.  After a year + of dealing with the pain and almost being unable to walk, I finally gave in and decided to ask my doctor for a cortisone injection.  He said there was no need, that his patients have had excellent success with an anti-inflammatory gel, Voltaren, and it seemed to work as well or better than an injection.

I was very skeptical.  I've never had any luck with any kind of ointment, so I figured this was just more "snake oil" as it were.  Wrong!  I put it on with socks right before bed, and then 4 times a day thereafter.  I only put a small dab, not the dosage prescribed in the literature, as it would have been a mess.  Turns out that was fine, as it worked anyway.  Took about 3 days before I noticed anything, then I got up in the morning and walked around the house for an hour or so before I realized that I wasn't limping and in fact, wasn't feeling any pain at all. 

If you don't like injections and would like to get your life back, this has been a "miracle cure" for me.  I don't work for the pharmaceutical company that makes Voltaren, but I would happily tell anyone about this new wonder gel.

One caveat - I see this forum is in the UK.  I'm in the US, so I don't know if it's available over there.  If you try it out, I hope you'll post and let me know if it works for you as well as it has worked for me.

Best wishes to you and you feet!

• Posted

Thank you for your post.  In the UK the cream is called Voltarol which I think is the same as yours.  I do use in very rarely but not on a regular basis as you do.  It does not seem to do much good, but I will maybe give it a try a few times a day.  There would be nothing lost by doing so.  However I am fairly skeptical that a cream would be able to penetrate to the problem and do any good.  The compression sock seems to do best for me;  exercises are useless as I've been doing them on and off for three years.  Many thanks for your post.
  • Posted

I have got tremendous relief from Kenkoh sandals.  I could not believe how quckly they relieved my pain.  I would say my pain went from a 9 out of 10 to a 5 almost immediately and after a week down to a 2.

I know that only time can heel this awful problem, but I literally went from barely being able to walk to being pain free in 2 weeks.

They are not the most attractive sandals and they are not cheap either, but they work so well I even wear them out and about because having no pain is well worth wearing ugly sandals.

I see Birki and a few other companies also make similar sandals, I don't know if they are as good or not.

• Posted

Thank you for your post.  I will look into these sandals, as I've never heard of them.  I wear fitflops in the house which do help cushion the foot, but are totally unsuitable in the autumn / winter time outside.  Having no pain would be a big incentive for me; I don't care how ugly they are!
  • Posted

I just received a pair of work Crocs that are supported by orthopedic society and they are wonderful for being outside. But they are ugly. Made of some kind of rubber. Make sure if you get them that they are the ones with the Orthodic seal of approval. They sell both kinds. I buy mine at 6pm com

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.