Plantars Fascitis on and off for 6 years, mainly on

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had plantars fascitis for majority of 6 years, was wondering what works, the only time I have been successful was when I quit my waiter job and took a call center job, where I was sitting for 40 hours a week.  I left that job and went back to food and  beverage.  I was wondering what has worked for you to relieve it?  I really don't want to have to change jobs but might not have a choice if I want to be pain free.   

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

JayCsc, I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I got plantar fasciitis around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."   Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

?So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery.

JayCsc, that's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.  Good Luck to you, doknabox/JerryR

• Posted

Thanks for the information/suggestions. I am going on my 4 th year with PF.  Did you also do all the stretches & exercises that are usually suggested?  I am doing those, plus icing muscles, & going to PT once a week.  The PT I find very painful & wondering if it is beneficial, with all the pain it causes. I have committed to PT for at least 3 months to see if there is any relief as time goes on. Going to try the inserts you suggest, I am open to any new ideas. And boy do I need patience!  Just saw some pics from 4 years ago when I was hiking in the Canadian Rockies & felt so sad!  Now it is constant pain when walking & standing on a normal day. It is hard to believe this is my life now...

• Posted

Now I'm not saying that you have the same severity of PF that I had, but I definitely believe the best treatment for PF is CUSHION!!! Sounds like your Physical Therapy is causing pain/trauma which leads to inflammation. Seems to me that would be the opposite of cushion. Kind of like banging your tennis elbow against a wall. I'd recommend CUSHION. Not painful PT.

• Posted

Hello Jerry,

Can I ask you, what exactly do you mean by CUSHION?

Let me know and thanks,  Aimee

• Posted

From my previous post:  "So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Make sure your innersoles are soft and preferably made of gel.  (I plan to use mine indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wore a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.  And I would suggest to you, have patience, not surgery."

• Posted

Hello, you have had PF for a long time. So, have I unfortunately.  What has worked for me is massage and compression socks.  Basically, staying off of your feet as much as possible.

How did you get your call center job?  Sounds interesting as well as something I could do too.

Let me know.  Hope to hear back from you.

Aimee-

• Posted

I have had it 18 months and it became chronic.  I have only in the last few weeks improved.  This is what works for me.  Rest, calf stretching often, compression socks, massage with rolling pin and tennis ball, inner soles, cushioning shoes with raised heel.  I never knew whether to use ice or warmth.  I use ice if I have done too much to help with pain, but also use a food massage machine and foot spa bath.  The foot massage machine is what I was think has worked.  It circulates blood around the foot and must help to heal.  I am definitely making progress and only a few weeks ago thought nothing was ever going to work.  Good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. Della.

Have you ever experienced any muscle tightness in your feet?

I sure have, any suggestions about what might help?

Let me know and take good care,  Aimee

• Posted

Yes and I have foot baths and massage with tennis balls.  It tightens up and then unless you warm it up and stretch you injure it all over again 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, will keep everything in mind what you have told

me.. 

Take care.. Aimee

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  I have looked at the gel heel pads but bought the heel inserts with an arch support instead. I have been using these in new trainers that also have gel padding in the heel.  My symptoms have very slowly improved but stubbornly refuses to heal entirely.  I will have another look at the gel heel pads to ramp up the padding.  I guess my worry is that the return of the heel pain in the morning despite everything I have done makes me think I’m going to have this problem long term.  I continue to do calf stretches,  and use ice every day alongside weekly physio.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.