Planter fasciitis or normal pain after cast removal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle on 11/30. It was a straight brake on the bottom of the fibula and a hairline fracture. The bones did not displays and I did not need surgery. I was put in a cast for six weeks and got the cast off seven days ago. I was told I could go full weight-bearing and no crutches needed. I was not given any restrictions. I was told that the swelling would go down the more I walked on it. The problem I’m having is every time I take a step I have pain from the arch to the toes. It’s like all the ligaments hurt. It’s a stabbing kind of pain. The top of my foot is still tender to the touch as well feels like a big black and blue even though it looks fine. I asked if I should wear sneakers flats or go barefoot and I was told to do whatever is comfortable for me. I thought that by walking barefoot this would help exercise my weekend tendons and ligaments. It’s the seventh day and when it comes close to night time or barefoot I can barely shuffle along and I’m limping a lot. I thought that it would be much better by now. I’m wondering if this is normal or if it could be plantar fasciitis. I start physical therapy on Wednesday. I just want to get better and I thought I would be a lot better by now.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I developed plantar fasciistis after my break. I did the stretch exercises and they weren't helping as fast as I'd like. I tried on a kajillion pairs of shoes that were good for feet and even bought a few which didn't help. I even bought new shoes when I was wearing them and switched them. I then tried a kajillion pairs of sneakers and It wasn't until I bought this particular pair of slip on sketcher sneakers that I got finally relief. I was able to feel the arch in this particular style and a few days later the pain went away. It was like a miracle. Sadly,when you break an ankle recovery cant come fast enough. GL!

• Posted

thank you for the info. I thought breaking the ankle and being in the cast would be the hardest part. I just want to walk without a limp and eventually get back into cute shoes.

• Posted

I'm in a similar position to you. I broke my ankle 23rd December but it was a clean break also. I'm now at the stage of starting to walk on it but because i have had plantar fasciitis in the past, I have shoes that have an orthotic sole to support the ligaments in my foot, that is probably why the sketchers trainers are working for you. You can buy orthotic insoles that you can swap from shoe to shoe to solve the problem. much cheaper than keep buying new shoes! You can get them on the internet. Good luck and i hope you continue to improve.

• Posted

i’m going to try the orthopedic insoles. I’m hoping I can wear them with flats and get some support. Rather than having to wear sneakers only. I hope you heal quickly and that your planters fasciitis doesn’t flare up.

• Posted

My podiatrist told me not to wear totally flat shoes for plantar fasciitis but some with a small heel. Good luck.

• Posted

Just to add, i got Sorbothane orthotic insoles from the internet. There are different ones so make sure they say they are for plantar fasciitis. They are soft and comfy and cured me. Sorbothane is the material they are made from not the brand name.

• Posted

Thanks Pauline! I just ordered a pair off Amazon so I’ll have to make sure that they are made with that material. It said they were for plantar fasciitis.

• Posted

I hear yea,,,,I was never a sneaker wearer so I had bought a pair of inserts for fasciitis in a store and put them immediately in my shoes. I didn't even get to my car and found they were very uncomfortable .I turned around and brought them back. Perhaps someone here knows a good pair to buy. The sneakers might give you more support while you're healing . I was in a lot of pain too and let me tell you these sneakers were like a miracle. Within 2 or 3 days of wearing them the pain was gone. They were the slip on that you can feel the arch,Its 6 months and I still feel like I have elastic bands in the bottom of my foot and calf but no pain. my It's now way over the month and I'm in reg shoes and can even wear like 2 inch heels. P.S. I'll be 71 next month so I'm not spring chicken. lol

• Posted

I haven’t started physical therapy yet I start on Wednesday. My friend however is a PTA and she stopped by today gave me a very good foot rub did some stretches and taped my foot. Felt a whole lot better after that. Still going to be quite a while before the pain fully goes away I’m sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.