Plaquenil and appetite

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking Plaquenil a few days ago. Minor stomach upset but I was warned to expect that. Everything I read told me that a common side effect is loss or appetite and weight loss.

Here's the thing: I have the opposite problem. I have been ravenously hungry since I started taking it. I have barely stopped eating. My appetite had been poor before but it's totally turned and now I'm constantly hungry.

Please tell me it takes a while for the loss of appetite to start. I don't want to gain weight due to medication.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been on plaquenil for a few years and unfortunately I have never noticed any loss of appetite from it. Unfortunately I was also on prednisone when I began this. Also, unfortunately I have been on several med school and even have celiac that warns of a potential of excessive weight loss. That is not a side effect I have ever gained. It would be useful if I did. Instead I have gained a large amount of weight through prednisone and menopause. I keep trying to reverse the process with limited results thus far. Good luck with your journey.

• Posted

I was on prednisone and gained 30 pounds which I couldn't afford, being overweight to start!  I was always hungry and constantly ate!  It has taken me over a year to lose it after I finally got off it!  Now I'm prediabetic!  I am working on bringing my numbers down!  I didn't know that was a side effect!  Good luck!

• Posted

I'm on Plaquenil as well but thankfully I've not had the stomach issues some have. Are you also on Prednisone while the plaquenil kicks in? If so this could be where your hunger is coming from. Along with everything else we have to do to manage this condition, we also have to be very mindful of our diet and make sure we exercise. It's not good to let your weight get out of control as it will most definitely make it worse and bring on more issues like diabetes. I've just started MTX injections too, so now more to manage and be mindful of. It never seems to end. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you. I refused all steroids so I'm just taking the Plaquenil and NSAIDs. I had one prednisone shot a while ago and it affected my mood so I won't take it again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.