Plaquenil and pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am a newly diagnosed RA patient. I have been prescribed plaquenil for inflammation and I take naproxen/ibuprofen for the pain. But I still wake up with severe joint pain in my knees and shoulders. Any advice on how to control pain would be appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patti I'm not sure whether pure on the yuk r not o. I too was it on the same drugs which ad virtually no effect en o

pain.The only thing that really worked for me are the biologic drugs so the sooner you get on them the better. In UK they put you on the DMARD 's (cheaper) drugs first for 6 months. I hope you keep telling them the drugs are not controlling your pain let alone our joint destruction and you get the right drugs treatment for you. Good luck l. You aren't alone in this

• Posted

I believe paquenil is a biologic. But it can take a couple of months to start working.

• Posted

It is not a biologic:

Plaquenil is a DMARD which has been prescribed for years to treat rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and other autoimmune diseases. ... Plaquenil is also an option for those who try and fail biologic drugs, cannot tolerate biologics or fear potential side effects linked to biologic

• Posted

My mistake. I even Googled it before commenting and when I saw a trade name of Enbrel which I have taken I thought it was. Thank you for correcting me.

• Posted

I agree, the sooner you can get on biologics the better it will be. They not only control the pain and inflammation but also they stop the joint damage. A healthy diet with fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats and no sugar helps with inflammation too! Good luck to you!

• Posted

The paquenil takes time to fully work. I think my rheumatologist told me 2 months. In the mean time I found relief with Excedrin Migraine which has Tylenol, aspirin and caffeine in it.

• Posted

Thank you. I just started on the medication. Just scared I guess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.