plasma button Turp

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Please can someone answer this? My question is about plasma button Turp is the Same as called Bipolar Turp?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tanak,

The bipolar TURP uses a loop to cut the tissue, then a plasma buttom tip to cauterize the bleeding. The plasma button TURP only uses the plasma button to both vaporize the tissue and cauterize the bleeding. It takes longer for the operation to be performed. It's not easy to find a urologist who does the plasma button only operation. The older style monopolar TURP appears to be on the decline. The company that makes the instruments is Olympus Medical. They have a web site with information that you might find useful. I had a bipolar TURP and was in and out of the hospital in 4.5 hours with no pain whatsoever. The only discomfort was a Foley catheter I had for 3 days post op, but once that was out, it was "smooth sailing". There was some pink color in the leg bag wearing the Foley, but once that was out the color of my urine cleared up quickly. I was careful not to exercise for about a week, then gradually began to get back to where I was before the operation. Because I have had retention for a long time, it has taken me since my operation for my bladder to "calm down" and so my frequency and urgency issues have subsided. I have not experienced any incontinence during the day post op.

Tom

• Posted

Tom,

Did you experience any incontinence issues during the night, post op?

Chuck

• Posted

Chuck,

I had been on 2 Flomax before and for a while after my operation. Then, I cut back to 1. My bladder continued to relax and I was getting a minor bit of incontinence at night. I pad my underwear with toilet tissue. Then, when I cut back to 1 Flomax every other day, this issue went away. Next, I will discontinue the Flomax completely. I have had a very minor amount of incontinence most of my adult life, so have always padded my underwear with a bit of toilet tissue. Never thought much about this. The Flomax did increase this issue a bit. No issues during the day. The TURP cleared away the prostate obstruction so whatever issues I now have are bladder related. I don't think we really know how much our issues are directly related to the prostate or bladder until we have some procedure. I am currently pleased with my flow, but I am still dealing with getting up frequently at night - but that is improving as well, and my bladder is less irritated during the day, so there is some recovery going on with that as well.

Tom

• Posted

I know others have said it, but... THanks Tom, I appreciate you explaining. I could not take Flomax, or Proscar, nor any of the others. I experienced very serious side effects.

I am set for my TURP at Stanford November 4th.

Chuck

• Posted

Thank You for replying Tom.

• Posted

I wanted to get a button turp since my urlift is not working but my urologist will not have any of that and blames my problem on OAB.

• Posted

I wanted to get a button turp since my urolift is not working but my urologist will not have any of that and blames my problem on OAB.

I was on medication (oxybutinen) for bladder spasms (OAB) for 20 years. Three months after my TURP, I was able to discontinue this medication and my bladder spasms are now minor to non-existent. If you didn't have bladder spasms before the Urolift, I don't know why you'd have them now (says the man with no medical training what-so-ever.)

• Posted

My question is about plasma button Turp is the Same as called Bipolar Turp?

A button TURP is by definition bipolar but a bipolar TURP does not have to be a button TURP. As Tom noted, many urologists (including mine) start with a bipolar loop electrode because it can remove material faster than the plasma button. Then they switch to the plasma button to smooth the prostate surface and cauterize any bleeders. Another advantage of bipolar vs monopolar is the use of saline rather than glycine as the irrigation fluid.

My doctor uses a different approach after the surgery. I stayed overnight in the hospital with a 3-way catheter doing continuous bladder irrigation for 17 hours. The bladder irrigation was stopped and 300cc of water was instilled into my bladder and the catheter was removed. I was instructed to drink lots of water. After I had voided a couple times, I was discharged and went home without a catheter. Having had catheters in place for 3-4 days due to previous bladder surgeries, I was happy not to have to deal with one again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.