Plasma catecholamines

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone

Hope all is well

Went to the doctors today as I have been experiencing: face flushes/hot flush and eyes go abit funny/ feel faint but I don't actually faint. This happens randomly whether I'm sitting or standing. Doctor has told me to get a blood test for plasma catecholamines and also a 24hour urine test.

I have been reading about plasma catecholamines online and it seems abit scary. It's a blood test from the back of your hand. I know it's to see whether you have high hormonal levels (which triggers high blood pressure) which can be because of any reason such as tumour, stress, what we eat etc or any other reason that I don't even know off!

The question is, if results come back and say I have high hormones level, can this be maintained to the normal level by medication? (If it's not a tumour- benign) so if for example, when I stress - my blood pressure won't rise high because of the medication!?

I'm 26 and have been experiencing these symptoms for a very very long time (years) and no doctor has really gone this far to check my hormone levels / blood pressure - so I feel abit happy that a doctor is taking me serious!

Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What is the doctor suspecting that made him test for this rare hormone ? 
    • Posted

I'm not too sure. It's been happening frequently so I guess that made him test this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.