Plaster concerns, advice appreciated

Posted , 2 users are following.

Broke my wrist two weeks ago, simple fall landing on outstretched hand. Had normal POP applied, no problems at all, other than got quite loose. fast forward to yesterday and review at fracture clinic . X ray showed all progressing well and I had a different plaster applied. A lighter fibreglass one. It feels so much tighter than the previous one, especially the upper bit round my forearm. Fingers all fine, good colour and can move all of them freely. Is it normal for cast to feel tight? I am a bit claustophobic and its making me feel I want to cut it off. I am normally a very rational level headed 65 yr old granny and this is causing me such anxiety that I never tought possible. Any reassurance or advice very much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you have fallen, aren't we supposed to get more careful as we age LOL i have had about 4 falls in 2.5 years, one pretty bad with some quiet hefty breaks and i can understand how you are feeling, yes its quite normal for it too feel tight so long as your fingers are mobile and a good colour and not cold.

Isnt it a removable pot now

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Alexandria, unfortunately not removable. Wish it was. It's still very tight but I am getting used to it . It's not so bad during the day, nightime is the worst. Thank you again.

• Posted

I think night is the worst time because your not occupied the same.

it will improve as you wear it, then when its removed it will feel strange like being without a seat belt.

I cant wear false nails, they make claustrophobic, sounds nuts doesn't it LOL

Glad to hear it's improving though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.