Plaster removal - what will I find when they are removed after 7 wks?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there! I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and have only had my feet out of plaster for 30 mins when the stitches were removed and then my feet were re plastered.  Is anyone else out there in this situation? I would love to be bathing my feet, rubbing bio oil into my scars and to be doing my toe exercises! I have no pain, just boredom as I have another 10 days to go before the plasters come off. Now here comes my big question to fellow ex bunion friends........what will I find under the plasters?  Already the skin has all peeled off the toes which are poking out! So will my feet be like that all over? And how stiff will my tendons be after 7 wks with no movement? Help! please!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are making normal progress. In my case the skin around my big toe was flaky/dry for a while but it recovered. The most obvious thing I noticed was the redness of the foot and a degree of swelling, this lasted several weeks after the plaster was removed. As for stiffness, in my case I was disapointed the day the plaster came off, I was wrongly expecting perfection. In fact I was limping and not walking properly as the area around the big toe was tender and needs time. The tendons around the big toe were repositioned in my case (and in many cases) and they are tight for some time which restricts toe movement and may make your toe point upwards a little, it is not permanent. In summary, dont expect a miracle when the plaster comes off, it takes time for the tendons to stretch.  Good luck, Kevin
    • Posted

Thanks for that Kevin, it helps to hear what to expect from someone who has been there! I think the surgeons are so busy with lots of patients to see they don't really have the time to reassure or let patients know what to expect. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Hi Kevin and Jinny smilesmile

Well this is the week where time will tell. This Thursday is the D day for me. I don't have high expectations. I have been told like Kevin that the feet do swell up and they don't look pretty. One questions I would like to know: did your feet swell up Kevin while in plaster? Mine is not too bad but will if sitting with feet down for a long time more than standing.

Notice my toes agre getting wrinkly, so have been cleaning them with a warm washer and then moisturing with body butter cream...feels good!

Jinny......if it was not my friends visiting and taking me out plus husband takes me out on the weekend....I would go mad! Half of it ....I loved the fuss and the rest and the other half, I want my life back lol

with exercising the toes: I can just....I lift the toes up for so long and back down the other way...to get a bit of ROM there. I have been trying to walking normally with the plaster in the last week (ha as much as I can) instead of heel walking.Hope this helps. jinny did you look at the FB 'I survived a Bunionesctomy' tell me if you join xx

• Posted

Hi Krinny!  I went onto 'I survived..... On FB and someone let me join but how do I get to the comments which people have put on?
    • Posted

It's ok messages coming in on FB now!
    • Posted

That's good and what is your name on there?
    • Posted

I haven't posted anything yet, just read others comments!
    • Posted

Yes but you would have your name on the list of people on there...but that okay. smile
    • Posted

Hi there Krinny! How did it go? Details please! It Wednesday night here so it must be Thursday morning with you........!!! X Jinny
  • Posted

Hi Jinny2.

Right!

You've already noticed the skin peeling off your toes.

When the dressings/platsre comes off for good, the skin will ooka bi f a mess and will start to peel off in great pieces. All quite normal. There will be lovely new, soft skin uderneath which will feel so silky and smooth. Almost like baby skin. Just apply Aqueous cream regularly after washing your feet or bathing/showering, until all the old, dry and flaky skin has come off, and you may like to continue with the Aqueous cream as part of your daily routine thereafter as I do as it is lovely and moisturising.

There's nothing t fear from your new-look foot. It will take many months for the scar to disappear. I'm 10 months post surgery and my scar is still very noticeable but I'm not bothered as I'm not the type who cares  about the appearance but more concerned about how well my foot has recovered from the trauma of the surgery.

You may find , as you rebuild your walking technique that the tendons and ligaments in your foot will respond by letting you know and you may have some discomfort for a couple of weeks along the top of your foot. Again quite normal. Your foot has been encased in a huge bandage/plaster and restricted for many weeks. So once it is released of all this and the support it has provided your foot has to rebuild its strength. Hang on in there and don't despair if you get discomfort. Take Ibuprofe and paracetamol and just learn to rest the foot until it gets stronger again.

Please ask me for any other information and I will be happy to help all I can.

God Luck,

Gillian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.