Plastic bag vs. salt water for cloths

Posted , 2 users are following.

According to a study, sarcoptes scabiei mites can live up to 19 days off host. It all depends on the humidity and temperature. Cold and humidity help them live longer off a person. If the weather is hot and dry, they usually die within days, or sometimes at the first day or even within hours if it is dry and hot enough. They lived 19 days at 10°C (50°F) in a humid environment in this study, and their lifetime is decreased when the weather get drier and warmer. Remember that there are many methods based on dehydration of this mites such as salt baths and diatomaceous earth. (Study's name is "A review of Sarcoptes scabiei: past, present and future")

So this means "they die in three days" theory is basically not true. One of the most common methods to kill this mite is to put clothes in a plastic bag, seal it and wait 3 to 7 days for them to die. I'm very sceptical about this theory. Putting cloths in a plastic bag prevents moisture to evaporate and makes a very humid environment, which is perfect for this mites to live for weeks.

Many people claim to be cured after salt baths, salt dehydrates and kills mites. Salt baths didn't cured my scabies, but killed many of them. I have malathion and permethrin resistant mites, so I wasn't surprised that salt didn't kill them all.

I do believe that if some of them dies in a half an hour salt bath, putting clothes in salt water in 2 days will kill all the mites in clothes.

So I want to learn your opinions, does 2 days of salt bath kill the scabies mites in the cloths? If it really works, that means no more ruined cloths because of bleach and boiling.

Thank you and stay well.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The only sureshot way to kill them in clothes is either super super hot scolding water when i had it was in the cold months and it was really a long and cold cold season i just put the clothes and towel i just used outside overnight and that always worked for me and i didnt have to wash every little thing in overly hot hot water everytime but if u constantly wear sulfur lotion shower than put it back on for a little while u wont even need to do all that cuz it repells them while it kills them and also provides a world of basically instant relief if u want to know more email me

• Posted

Boiling clothes or washing them in very hot water causes them to shrink, I had to throw many clothes to the trash bin and don't want to waste the rest. Also bleach is another way to send cloths to the bin. We should find safer methods for cloths.

• Posted

Oh and u can also put clothes or whatever in the freezer over night too thatll work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.