Plate and Screw Removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been given the green light to have my plate and screws removed from my ankle. I am very excited and can't wait. It is being done at a local surgical center and is a quick surgery. Can anyone who has been through this give me any advice as to what to expect. I had my surgery just one year ago and feel very good. My complaint is the ankle still is tight and I know this is because of the metal. Thank You

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

I had two plates and 14 pins removed after about 8 months after because I was having issues with full mobility and I could feel then when i moved my ankle a certain way.

I was anticipating that the surgery would be horrible just like when I first broke it, but quite honestly, it really wasn't that bad at all. I was back at work in 3 weeks. The first few days were hard to deal with and my Dr. wanted me to spend time with it elevated for the first 10 days, or so but after that I was able to bear weight as tolerated. I returned to PT for the next 6 weeks so that they could work on strengthening and mobility with the hardware gone. I was told to take it easy for a while because there the hardware was, there are holes and the bones need to grow and fill it in. It was the best thing for me to do, and I am hopeful that it will work as well for you. I still have some major issues with nerve damage and had another surgery to address that in Nov of 19 (surgery didn't work) but as far as the bone goes, it has healed well. Good luck and let us know how you are doing after the surgery

• Edited

I just had the long screw going through back of my ankle (stabilizing crew).

Very quick surgery done in surgical center

I had to wear boot again for 2 weeks

Confession, only wore it about 9 days

Felt great

My ortho said the other screws would be a little more involved, (more stitches, invasive)).

I have much better ROM now and can walk down the stairs using both feet which I couldnt do before

Also less numbness

Im 7 months post op

Good luck and lmk how you make out!!!

• Posted

I will let you know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.