Plates and screws

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone had screws or plate removed is it painful after and how long before I dare put my weight on it the screws are very painful and been in for 8 weeks broke tibia and fibula

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 12 weeks out, with 13 screws and a plate in (trimalleolar fracture) and I don't feel the screws at all. I can feel the plate if I rub down the outside of my ankle, but it doesn't hurt. I don't think the screws are supposed to hurt. You should speak with  your doctor. 
    • Posted

My plate is ok its the 2 screws in my ankle

I told doc he did say don't worry we can remove them it feels like someone is pressing on the bone with their knuckle painkillers don't work as its not body so to speak do you know what happens with screws are eventually removed are you off you're foot so it heals any idea x dawn

• Posted

I can feel the plate but not the screws. Hope to have it all removed at about the 6 or 7 month point. If yours is very painful you should talk to your doctor.
  • Posted

I am interested in hearing from people who have had plates and/or screws removed. I'm at  just over 7 months post surgery and only have had 3 screws in total fitted, no plates, but the swelling and stiffness is still present and never has reduced. I still walk with a limp, but I have noticed small improvements recently. I do everything I'm suppose to, elevate, ice, moisturise and exercise. I don't want to be on crutches and sticks for 2 months again, nor can I financially afford not to work
  • Posted

I am scheduled to have mine out, but I'd like to hear of someone elses experience.  I am not looking forward to another surgery.  My doctor said I should wear the boot for 2 weeks.  It takes 6 weeks for the holes to fill in, but it doesn' mean you're nwb.  I think you just have to be careful.  I'm sure the incision takes 4 weeks to heal, so back to keeping it dry.  
    • Posted

I am very keen to hear from people who have had the surgery and what their own personal experience was and what after effects were present if any. When I went swimming recently it was a strange sensation, I could feel the pressure of the screws against my skin. My physio yesterday sent me away saying to keep on with my exercises etc and that my ankle will improve with time and that I don't need to have anymore physio. I feel that this swelling and stiffness is not going whilst the screws are present, but as with you linda, I'm not looking forward to surgery & recovery financially and otherwise
    • Posted

Thank you Linda at least I know more for me it will be worth 2 weeks in the boot again just to get rid of these screws they're stopping me from moving easier and are really painful x dawn
    • Posted

I started searching online about this tonight Paul and found a video (Warning: surgical videos don't bother me, but you may not want to watch it if they bother you). If you want to see the procedure for taking a screw out...here it is below...I was shocked to see the size of the screw they took out and to me, it looked like a rather easy procedure, but others may feel differently.

Look up on you tube:

Ankle Screw Removal

Stace Webley

• Posted

Patti, I watched the video.  It appears that they did the procedure under a local and it looked scarey.  They were only removing screws and making a small incision.  I have a plate and screws and the original incision is about 5 inches long.  The surgeon said the incision will be at least that long.  I also have some raised scar tissue they are going to remove.  I will share my experience when it's done.  
    • Posted

Thank you Linda. When will you get it done? I keep wondering if I should just get all taken out or not. I used to hear it had to be in the 6-12 month range, but my GP said it can be anytime and should only be done if the screws are bothering or limiting your motion. He said the plates and screws are inert and don't hurt your body, if you decide to keep them in.
    • Posted

I am very curious to find out what people's experiences are after the op and how long before full recovery plus any side effects. I am making slight progress with walking, ramps, stairs etc but still have the stiffness, swelling and limited movement. 
    • Posted

I'm scheduled to have them out this Thursday.  I'm thinking about pushing it out a few weeks.  I'm not sure what to compare this feeling to.  My doctors are not forthcoming with much information.  They have said the same as  you about taking it out if it bothers you.  I don't think I'll know of the improvement until I do it.  I had hardware in my elbow removed and it made all the difference in pain and range of motion.  I had 50% motion before I had it out and got 97% after removal.  My doctor said 8 months post op.  I've read it can be done anytime after 7-12  months, but some have said if you wait to long the plate can become imbedded and harder to remove.  I have a friend with lots of ankle hardware (breaks on both sides) but he doesn't notice the hardware at all and he says he can hardly notice which ankle was broken.  
    • Posted

If you are not sure, I think you should wait. You need to be sure before surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Patti.  I'm glad you said that,  I think you are right!   My husband has been wishy washy.
  • Posted

After my screws were removed I felt better right after. I can't remember when I started walking. I really don't think it was more than a couple of weeks
    • Posted

Does anyone know how long on average, after someone can walk without crutches in a boot, you can move to a tennis shoe? I hear I should get tennis shoes a half size bigger. I can finally walk without crutches all the time in my boot and I am wondering what the next stage will be. I have an appt at the end of the month and hope I will be able to move to a tennis shoe at that point. Any advice for the transition? Also, did anyone ever feel pain under their foot in their arch, after doing all the PT exercises? (Plantar Fasciitis). It hit me yesterday, but I have been doing calf stretches and a lot of massage on the bottom of my foot and it feels a lot better today. Thanks!
    • Posted

I transitioned into a walking shoe made by Clarks.  They are cut low around the ankle.  My plate makes it impossible to wear a tennis shoe, even after 7 months.  I started walking in my house without any shoes with a walker and outside with the Clarks and crutches.  It's best to gradually add weight while using the walker or crutches.  I experiences lots of weird pains all over my foot.  I still have stiffness in the ankle.  I hoping it gets better after the hardware removal.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.