Plates and screws in radius.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey

I got operated for a broken radius and twisted ulna around ten hours ago. The radius has been fixed with a plate using six screws. I am here on this discussion because if the enormous amount of next level pain that I am going through.

How long is this unbearable pain going to be thee for? Also, is there any way by which it can be reduced?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain. It doesn't seem normal to me, I only had moderate pain 10 hours after my (similar) operation, but every case is different. There are various kinds of pain killers that can help. Make sure to tell a doctor or nurse about it, they should help you reduce the pain.

• Posted

Talk to Dr immediately and then consistantly as pain needs change. There are all kinds of levels of pain meds...and sounds like you need them.. With the disclaimer that all cases are different, my experience ( I had crushed and shattered radius and ulna completely re-sculpted with wires and cadaver bone) was as follows.  I was set up with a portable constant drip of pain meds for first 10 days, then switched to oral medications that were increased in strength and/or frequency as I gave feedback until pain was tolerable. Stayed on this regime until Metal rod exoskeleton fixtures were removed in 6 weeks. Pain actually increased when metal braces were removed...and meds increased in strenght and frequesncy. At highest rate of pain meds I was taking oxycotin. Had huge fear of addition, so reduced pain meds as soon as it was possible....actually before recommended and went through some pretty awful withdrawel. Wouldn't recommend doing that yourself...but got through it. It has now been 9 months since injury and I have regained strenght and partial grip, although torq is still hard and I can neither put my hand flat on a surface to push up, nor make a fist. I have "torture devices" / metal braces that I am to use 1/2 a day to try to stretch nerves, tendons...and am still a little progress toward increased range of movements but suspect I'll never be able to do a palm down push up or fully clenched fist and my small moter control...like for handwriting is not there yet. Still working on it. Also experienced painful neuropathythe whole lower arm and hand where the hand feels numb, cold, prickly, and as if skin is burned. Pain meds don't touch that...but it has fortunately decreased over time to a just knuckles, fingers and hand...and much reduced negative sensation. I have resisted taking nerve blockers even though they were offered because people of my acquaintance who use them have experienced really bad site effects. I can live with the neuropathy...and my Dr also suggested that I use topical Roll-on cannaboids "CBD" plus a little" TCH". I am in US in a state that allows medical marijuana so that is possible...and it does help. I use it when I'm using the brace and it relaxes the area and the pain of stretching nerves. Good luck to you. It is a journey...that requires patience and persistence.

• Posted

Oh boy.  HANG IN THERE!!  Probably a few more days before it settles down.  Use your pain meds.  Drink lots of water!  Ice packs may provide a bit of relief.  Try to rest as much as you can.  What do your discharge orders state?  Keep your chin up!
  • Posted

I had a plate and screws for a fractured distal radius about six weeks ago. Keep taking the painkillers you have been given regularly. I had codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen and I took them all at intervals for three or four days. After that I didn't need the codeine and I stopped the ibuprofen a couple of days later. The pain was only really bad for about 24 hours so I hope you also feel better quickly.

• Posted

Hey

Wondering how you are getting on. I had similar surgery carried out 3 weeks ago and I am still in a lot of pain. Taking tramadol and oxycodon and am also afraid of becoming addicted. Am also finding it impossible to get a good night's sleep as can't find a comfortable position to sleep in

• Posted

Actually, my surgery was for a fractured humerus proximal, so maybe this is different. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Posted

I think I understand what you are going through. I had an operation with 1 plate and 6 screws on my left hand radius last January. I had an unbelievable pain and a feeling of severe weight over my hand starting from my shoulder for the first 20 hours and then was limited to my elbow area for the following 75 hours or so. The instructions from the operating facility explained that pain though since it was part of the procedure, an injection, and it got "better" as it was wearing off. I couldn't control the pain with meds since I couldn't tolerate most of them. You can check more natural way from a health store if your dr's Rx doesn't work. Ice packs were a lifesaver for me and having my hand elevated. A reclining chair was my bed that period. Surprisingly even starting the exercises when the dr suggested, within 3-4 days, helped my recovery a lot. It isn't easy but I was very patient. It should be better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.