Plavix vs. Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had two drug-eluting stents implanted on July 9th, 2018. Right after I was put on 75mg of Plavix and 81mg of Aspirin to prevent clots. I do realize this is a Warfarin Discussion but I couldn't find any discussion more closely related for my question.

My bad luck that I've been in abdominal pain for the last three or four years and after

many doctor visits the cause was finally diagnosed by accident. I needed a abdominal hernia repair and on April 18th a local surgeon performed an open procedure to repair the hernia. He cut away ten inches of a thirteen inch forty year old spleen removal scar

to gain access to the hernia in order to place the repair mesh. Yes the bad scar tissue wasn't all he threw away, along went seventy-five percent of my pain. So quickly I made an appointment to have the rest of the scar cut out but was interrupted buy the stents,

Now my surgeon says I must wait one year before the cardiologist will allow me to go off the Plavix and Aspirin. The surgeon says he won't be able to stop the bleeding. So is that true? No way to cut that last three inches of pain out while on Plavix and Aspirin? Anyone know a way around this? Has anyone had surgery minor or otherwise while taking Plavix? Is three months still too risky?

I'm in pain and getting very upset thinking I'll need to suffer another year. Please advise about your experience or knowledge. Thanks so much to you all.

Ron

?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm far from being an expert but would day this.  I've been on Plavix (now changed to clopidrogrel), for a number of years.  Medical people, (dentists included), are very cautious about working with a person who's been on Plavix.  To the best of my knowledge they will demand that you go off of it for at least 5 days.

I don't understand why they would put you on both Plavix AND aspirin.  I would think it would be one or the other.

However your post sounds like two Drs. are telling you that same information and so for whatever reason it sounds like they don't want it stopped for awhile. 

I would say that at best a second opinion might be in order.  Or question both of those Drs. to make sure that there is no misunderstanding about the situation.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes two doctors are involved, the surgeon and the cardiologist. I submitted an iPhone photo of my abdomen to a doctor in Mexico in order for him to assess how he might be able to help me. The photo showed a different color skin in the portion of old scar. The iPhone was able to see the infection somehow under the skin? I thought I'd share this as a possible unadvertised tool of Apple's iPhone. So did you ever cut or hurt yourself (I do all the time but haven't yet) and bleed where you or a doctor couldn't stop the bleeding? What do people do and why couldn't that method be used for my surgery? Enjoy the day and one more thank you.

• Posted

It seems there is an infection at hand. That is the only way i can explain the pain your are experiencing and the type of scar tissue you had, and have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.