Playing Football (Soccer) after Bunion Surgery? Has anybody done that? How was the experience?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello i am 22 years old male having severe bilateral bunions. I wanted to play football (soccer) as a professional. But these bunion had got worsen. It refrains me from doing a lot of things in a better way. They hurt a lot. I have to wear a lot of silicon toe caps and bunion sleeve on both feet to avoid skin damage & severe bunion pain. Honestly speaking it is the worst experience of my life so far. I had my 2 knee surgeries done before encountering this crap situation. Moreover i have heard people not having such a great experience post operation. Most of them are not young or not active as i wish to be. Kindly guide me what should i do.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I'm 5 weeks post op tomorrow after having my left bunion done. Not sure when to get the right one done. I have lots to consider as I have 3 children to do school runs for!!

Have u discussed surgery already with a surgeon. I'm hoping to get back to running and gym workouts ASAP!!! I'm missing exercising sooooo much.

I can't help you re when you'll get back to footy I'm afraid. Hopefully your surgeon would give you a good indication.

I had Minimally invasive Bunion surgery. I had an ankle block and sedation. It was a good experience and hardly got any pain at all the ankle block lasted from 2pm until at least 11am the next day and even then I didn't feel the need for any pain relief but took it as a precaution. I couldn't heel walk for 2 weeks as my bandages were too tight and each time I tried to got severe pins and needles but the next day after getting the bandages removed I was walking about the house nicely.

I get my splint off next week and I'm nervous about walking properly after what will have been 6 weeks wearing. Good the wedge shoe I was given to walk in.

Are u in the UK?

Gillian

• Posted

Hi, it does depend on which osteotomy you choose. I had a bunion op a long time ago micro invasive and jogged after 6 weeks. However with footbal you should wait 6 month as any contact sport takes time. But after that you should be fine. Check out Facebook: European Foot Institute
  • Posted

hi mate i had a bunion op 4 weeks ago hoping to go back to work two weeks today as i am a delivery driver labourer.i played local football for years with a bunion it used to be very painful i helped my workmates football team out last season and could not hardly walk after so that made my mind up to have the op.i am 34 and active and healthy the op went very well in fact in a getting round ok the pain i had was after 3 weeks but got threw it.my advice is to get them done it will help with normal day life and football i wish i would of had mine done years ago even wearing normal trainers was a struggle good luck with everything
    • Posted

Hi carl, how are u doing now? do u have screws in ur foot? and after how much time period do u expect urself to be back playing football. I am awaiting for ur response since u r the first guy who had this surgery done and plays the same sport i.e. football
    • Posted

hi mate i have screws in my foot,i have started to do a bit of swimming i am now 6 weeks after my op,i expect to go back to work in the next few days.i been ok not alot pain my advice is get it done they say you can do football i.e 4 months after the op maybe earlier
    • Posted

thats fantastic mate smile did u had scarf ostetomy done? sorry for such a late reply. Ur the first one i have met who is looking forward to play football after such surgery, keep me updated about your progress, u r serving as a motivation for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.