Playing with my goniometer

Posted , 9 users are following.

OK, I'm a bit obsessed with measuring the bend and the extenson on my operated leg, and decided to check the 'good leg'   Bend maximum 135 . . extension . . . well, that was a surprise. It's actually ten in the wrong direction . . e.g. it seems to bend backwards.  Does anyone know if that is a potential problem, or if it's fairly normal??  Now when I look at it I can see that it is strange!  Never noticed before i had the goiometer though . . 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you are obsessed...lol!   Not always a good thing getting something like this.  Makes you paranoid.   
    • Posted

I am 5 days post tkr and physio progress is nil due to  a large bleed due to a staple issue, feeling dejected I thought I maight buy a measuring thingy, you have changed my mind! but i can see that this tkr lark can take on a life of its own and and of us could become a bit obsessive about our progress,  good luck with your bend!
    • Posted

To be honest dotty I woukdnt bother buying one of these things.  You know how you are bending your leg yourself by how much you can do, I as told this by physio.  These things just make you anxious about everything.  This is my personal view of course.   You have more to worry about than this in the early stages, you don't need added pressure.  
    • Posted

But it is only five pounds!  Not exactly a fortune. . . I enjoy measuring, and when i discovered what i though was about 110 was ony just under ninety, it made me push myself more.  the day I was able to reach 110 and prove it was a good day!   I don't have a physiotherapist or anyone else to guide me so I have found it useful . . we are all different thank heavens!
    • Posted

Whatever makes you happy I guess.  As you say, we aren't all the same!
    • Posted

Keep measuring!  I bought one for my physio whi did not hae one and now I am getting one for myself.

I can easily become obssessed too.  In this sort of operation where nothing seems to follow any kind of order, it is nice to have something to measure!!

• Posted

I am in danger of giving up the fight  . .at twelve weeks, it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm of the first couple of months, and the measuring I find is something of an encouragement to keep at it!

• Posted

not going to bother, shallspend money on easter chocs instead! but whatever floats your boat and gets you through has to be worth a few quid.
  • Posted

The additional 10 in your good leg could be due to hyper extension in your knee joint. It is quite common and you may have noticed previously that when standing straight your knee may have wanted to almost lock back. Generally nothing to worry about.
    • Posted

Thanks. . I;ve been looking on internet, and it seems that up to ten is more or less acceptable, but over that can become a problem.  Looks as if I need to strengthen quads on that leg . . I have noticed lately that i can more easily do the straight leg lifts on the operated leg than on the good one!  So, got to start work on the other one as well . . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.