Please advice - severe hypotension linked with exercise and monthly cycle

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is the second occurrence I've have this year of these episodes and theres 2 common factors each time.

• I'm on a normal training run and;
  • its just before I'm due to start my monthly period

I should add I run and train regularly with no incident and consider myself physically fit

First occurrence - roughly 3 months ago had a 3 mile run planned, was 1 mile in and started to feel unwell so sat down on a nearby bench and decided it'd walk the mile home, started feeling even worse had to sit down every couple of metres got to a local fast food chain and contemplated asking for an ambulance I felt that bad, my hearing was going and I knew I was about to faint, didn't have my phone on me to call anyone. Sat down had a chocolate bar and water (was thinking it could be blood sugar) and some ibrofen for lower stomach cramp like pain. Recovered in roughly 15 minutes and walked home.

Second occurrence - today, had a 2 mile run planned, got 0.7 miles in and decided to turn round as was feeling unwell, ran back, had about 300 metres left and had to sit down. Felt like i might thrown up I ran down the hill to get home as fast and I could, felt like I was going to pass out again, lay on the floor. Home this time and curious if my blood pressure was low, my mums got a home machine for high blood pressure, I (barely) took a reading stood up. It was 78/26, I lay back down and it took about 10 minutes to recover, both times i have not an unbearable, but a definite lower abdo pain, which passed without pain killers this time.

What is physiology going on? Would a trip to my GP warrant investigation or is this just something I should manage (e.g not running just before i'm due on)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Increase sugar intake, but watch sugar levels, the issues could be linked to periods. I know that periods can make women feel abit faint as when the blood leaves the system it generally can affect health. Specially if you are a heavy bleeder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.